‘This is a he said, she said thing’: Horrible comments left on Alabama rape news story

tips

babe  • 

‘Women are not the sexual equals of men and never will be’

A male student at the University of Alabama was arrested in connection with the rape of a female student this weekend.

The woman was drinking with Joseph Pitts in a dorm room when she passed out. She was woken by two friends who say they witnessed Pitts having sex with her while she was unconscious. He was charged with first-degree rape.

When AL.com reported the story, people began commenting on the article. Many of the comments are horrible, victim-blaming and show that society has a long way to go in the way we handle cases of sexual assault.

Some suggested the woman should face charges as well

‘Why is it only the man who is responsible?’ ‘How is it he is a rapist and she is not?’

Others called bullshit on the victim’s story

‘Friends can wake you up by walking in a room but having sex doesn’t?’ ‘If she remained unconscious right through the act of a sexual assault, then what method did the two friends use to wake her up with?’ ‘You live in a world where a girl gets caught having sex with a guy she was ashamed of doing or whatever and she claims rape and the village grabs its pitchforks’ ‘after all the lies and false claims made against Trump during the campaign, it’s just very difficult to accept a woman’s claims of rape anymore’

A few people expressed their sympathy for the man who allegedly sexually assaulted her. Poor guy

‘Tuff when you sober up and realize you gotta rape charge’ ‘There are those who cry rape when there isn’t one’ ‘Tough being a kid these days’

Some people wanted more information than was provided

‘Did she give consent and forget because she was drinking?’

There were a few who suggested that if she hadn’t been drinking, this probably never would have happened. Right?

‘If she hadn’t made the decision to go out and get drunk, then this wouldn’t have happened’ ‘Women are not the sexual equals of men and never will be’ ‘Nothing like personal responsibility and blaming others for the situations you put your own self into’ ‘Shouldn’t she face charges also for underage drinking?’

A woman who has been sexually assaulted — her alleged attacker charged with first-degree rape — is still facing questions, accusations of lying and suggestions that this was somehow her fault because she chose to have a drink with friends.

As a society, we have a long way to go.

@TheTab