Your old Alabama ticket stubs could be worth hundreds of dollars

A 1926 Rose Bowl stub sold for $2,250

You go to a game, you have a couple beers, Alabama inevitably wins, you throw your ticket in the bin, you go home. Gone are the days when you nonchalantly throw your stub in the garbage, however.

It’s no secret there is a market for sports memorabilia – baseball cards and signed jerseys sell for thousands online. But you may not have realized your football tickets stubs could be extremely valuable, too.

On the whole, the most valuable ticket stubs are from baseball games. The stub from Joe DiMaggio’s first game for the Yankees on May 3, 1936, sold for $3,383 on eBay. The stub from Micky Mantle’s first Major League game sold for nearly $6,000.

In 2012, Sports Collectors Daily tracked eBay for 90 days to see how much ticket stubs were selling for. They found that out of the 10 most valuable stubs, nine were from baseball games. The only one that made the list that wasn’t a baseball game? An Alabama football game, of course. The 1926 Rose Bowl stub sold for $2,250.

It goes without saying that the stub needs to be in great condition – a stub stuffed into the back pocket of your jeans won’t be worth anything. Another thing that won’t come as a shock is the fact that bowl games are much more valuable than regular season games. Good thing Alabama makes so many bowl games then.

Who really has a 1926 ticket stub lying about though? Unsurprisingly, the older the ticket, the rarer it is and therefore is worth more. For example, a 1938 Rose Bowl ticket stub is currently valued at $150.

Do not fret, however, because there is a market for more recent tickets. A 1994 SEC Championship stub is worth $85, which isn’t bad for a bit of junk. The 1996 SEC Championship game is worth the same amount, proving that even if Alabama loses, there’s always a silver lining.

If that’s not recent enough for you, a quick search on eBay will show you that newer stubs have value too. The stub from the 2013 National Championship game – when the Crimson Tide beat the Fighting Irish 42-14 – is currently valued at $150.

So a bit of advice to you, if you grew up in an Alabama family, go through old boxes and see what you can find. More importantly, hold on to your ticket stubs and take good care of them. At some point they could be worth a lot of money. Remember, regular season stubs don’t have any value.

Lucky that Alabama is currently 5-0, huh?

Featured image from Everything Collectibles

University of Alabama