Five talking points from the USC game

Barnett, Allen, Humphrey, Sims, SEC

Jalen Hurts good work benefits Blake Barnett

Jalen Hurts will inevitably take all of the plaudits, and rightly so. After a shaky start, the true freshman QB showed he can carry and pass the ball. He threw two TDs as well as running a couple for himself in the rout of USC.

Perhaps more interesting is the case of Blake Barnett. The redshirt freshman started the game but was taken out for Hurts early on. Saban claimed Barnett was too nervous and it’s reflected in the numbers; the offense went 3-and-out in the opening two drives. When Barnett came back on in the third quarter, the game was wrapped up at 45-6.

Jalen Hurts, ladies and gentlemen! #USCvsBAMA #rolltide

A photo posted by Alabama Football (@alabamafbl) on Sep 3, 2016 at 8:10pm PDT

Barnett had the luxury of playing with no pressure and ended the game solidly, throwing a 45-yard TD to Gehrig Dieter. So while Jalen Hurts increased his own profile, Blake Barnett got some game time that will help his cause too.

The best offense is a good defense

In the second quarter, USC managed only 14 yards, in the same period the Crimson Tide made 130 yards. It is no secret that Bama has the best defensive line in the country. Perhaps the most intriguing moment from the second quarter came at the 2:37 mark. Marlon Humphrey, son of Bobby Humphrey, scored an 18-yard interception TD following a deflected pass.

With such an aggressive line, don’t be surprised to see more scoring from the defense as the season goes on.

Jonathan Allen surely a first round pick

He lead the team in sacks in 2015 and decided against declaring for early entry into the 2016 draft. Now a senior, he is a NFL quality defender playing college football. Yesterday he registered two sacks, giving him eight sacks in his last seven games. Allen himself said he wants 28 sacks this year, he really epitomizes everything that’s good about the Crimson Tide’s defense.

Cam Sims may be the unluckiest player in CFB

It seems as though Cam Sims just can’t catch a break. Last year he tore his ACL and the game against USC was going to be a big night for the 6-3 offensive weapon. Instead, he left the stadium in a shoulder sling and, although there’s no update, it does not look good for the WR.

A bad weekend for the rest of the SEC

Kentucky, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Auburn, LSU, Mississippi State. 6 SEC teams lost on the opening weekend, Tennessee went to OT with App State and UGA hard a hard fought win against UNC. Overall it was a tough weekend for the teams in the SEC.

The first @alabamafbl touchdown of the 2016 season #USCvsBAMA #rolltide

A photo posted by Alabama Football (@alabamafbl) on Sep 3, 2016 at 8:14pm PDT

A lot of people wanted to write Alabama off before the season began but if yesterday’s performance is anything to go by, the Crimson Tide will be just as strong as last year.

University of Alabama