An ode to the Gorgas Library basement during finals season

‘It’s the perfect spot if you’re an antisocial studier like me’

The basement in Gorgas Library, with its often flickering lights, poorly painted walls and outdated furniture, is the unsung hero of finals week.

You know that library on campus that stands right on the quad? The one you’ve been avoiding all semester for the sake of your sanity but now you have to go to for the sake of your GPA? It’s a student’s dream if you’re drowning in school work but hate the thought of being crammed at a six person desk with no outlet in sight.

Gorgas Library has a ton to offer, from its multiple floors filled with books and computers to the coffee shop on the ground floor, this place is bound to be filled during the month leading up to exams. Most people come to the library and pick one of the floors with windows or wooden desks inside small conference rooms for you and your closest study buddies, but that’s always been a little too crowded for my taste.

If you’re an antisocial studier like myself, the basement in Gorgas is the perfect place for you. Though it might be dingy, dirty and slightly creepy, the basement of Gorgas is an A+ study zone. Here’s why.

The cubbies

It has these little cubbies for each individual person to sit in. Sure, they might be an off color and slightly uncomfortable, but you get one all to yourself.

It’s the perfect temperature

The basement of Gorgas is cool. Though you should probably bring a small jacket, the library is the perfect temperature for not falling asleep on those late night study escapades. Run upstairs for a coffee and back down into the cool cave that is the basement.

Yeah, it’s a little creepy

There are never many people down there. During those nice spring days when everyone is studying on the quad, the basement is next to heaven with its silent walls and limited human interaction.

You can’t use your phone

On top of creepy, cell reception is not a thing down there, giving you a perfect excuse to avoid answering mom’s phone call when you’re writing a paper. But if you’re worried about security, don’t be. The entire area is under surveillance.

It has outlets EVERYWHERE

Outlets lining the wall

Everyone knows the eternal struggle of trying to find an outlet in public places. The University of Alabama unfortunately doesn’t have enough outlets for everyone who needs one. Down in this little mecca of studying, there are plenty to go around.

So now you know my secret studying nest of knowledge. Go forth and ace those finals…or just pass.

University of Alabama