What to pack when you go home for Thanksgiving break because you want to impress the fam

It’s only five days

college hometown

Thanksgiving is days away and it's nearly time to grab the bags and head home. Packing is always a tricky thing and holidays are no exception. You're only home for a few days, but somehow it feels like you have to be prepared for everything. Here's some ideas for what to pack when you treck home for Thanksgiving break.

It's not winter break

Thanksgiving break is only a few days so we wouldn't go overboard with the packing. You know what your family's traditions and plans are so hopefully you can somewhat know what to expect. We'd try to bring some basics that can be re-worn and dressed up or down. It'll save you room and make figuring out what to wear less of a hassle.

You're going home

There's a good chance you're going to the house you lived in prior to college so it's safe to say there's some clothes there for you. It's not a bad idea to skip packing pajamas and sweatpants because you've likely got a few still in the house you can wear. Plus, if there's anything else you forget you can always run to a local store and pick it up.

About those basics

We'd pack one nice pair of pants that you can dress up with a button-down or cute top in addition to a decent outfit for Thanksgiving dinner if your fam does formal-type dinner. Otherwise we'd just bring what you'd normally wear around the house.

Leave room in your bag

This could be a total lifesaver. You're going home and winter is around the corner. This is a stellar time to bring some summer clothes home and exchange them for a few cold weather essentials. Plus, it'll be Black Friday deals so you (or your mom) might be picking up a few items for you to bring back to school.

Keep toiletries to a minimum

We'd only bring home the toletries that you don't already have at home. Save yourself the space in your bag and pack just the things you'll need.