Image may contain: Airplane, Aircraft

How to get to the airport from campus because you’ve got to home for Thanksgiving somehow

Planes, trains, or automobiles?

| UPDATED college guide

You're heading home for Thanksgiving and the only thing keeping you from chowing down on mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie is a flight. There's just the pesky matter of getting there. Your parents probably dropped you off at campus in the summer, but now you have to figure out how to get to the airport on your own. There's a couple of different options you can consider.

Campus shuttle?

You should definitely investigate to see if your school has a shuttle service that will take you to the airport. Some schools will run vans or buses to the airport in the days leading up to break. It's a great option, especially if you've got a super early or late night flight. It's probably one of the cheaper ways to go if you can.

Cab, Uber, or Lyft

This is a tricky one depending on where you go to school. It could be pretty economical choice if you can schedule a cab or car. You can often get a flat rate to the airport in advance. It's worth calling ahead and asking for pricing. That way you won't be dealing with surge pricing while everyone's fighting for a ride.

Trains

It might be easier for you to get to a train station than an airport. Airports tend to have monorails or shuttles that will take you from the closest train directly to the terminal of your departing flight. It defintely involves a few more steps, but it's cost effective and often less frustrating that you might have originally thought.

Hire a car/bus service

This is only really an economical option if you go in with friends. It could be a really nice way to go if you can pool enough people together. This definitely involves some planning though. Check around and see who needs rides to the airport and if you're all going within a similar time frame. Once you've got the number of passengers, reach out to a car service and ask about rates. It could be pricey, but worth it. You get some company for the ride and waiting in the terminal.