Image may contain: Human, Person, People

How to pick the right internships so you can land your dream job

Test drive post-grab life

job interview

You've got internships on the brain, but have no idea which you should be applying for. It's officially your first forray into the professional world and it's nearly impossible to know where to start. We're here to help you figure out how to pick an internship so your resume looks top notch come graduation.

Do you have a post-grad job in mind?

If you're one of the lucky ones who knows exactly what they want to do after graduation, congrats. You have an idea what position you want or maybe there's a certain company you're just dying to work at. Internships are great for figuring out what it is you want. It's basically a test drive in the post-grab world. Investigate the internship program at your dream company and see if you can apply. It could be your chance to find out if it's really the place for you. If the internship program at this place is super competitive, keep applying even if you don't get it on your first go. Intern eleswhere to beef up your resume.

If you've got a dream job in mind at a big company, start small. Apply for interships that suit your interests, but at smaller companies that will take people with less experience. It could be a great oppurtunity to hone your skills so when you eventually land the perfect job you're totally prepared.

What's your major?

Ideally, your major should be preparing you for your professional life. Check out what alumni from your school are doing who had the same major as you. Connect with them on LinkedIn and see if they'll chat with you about their internship experience. Ask if they know of any intern programs that they think you'd be a good fit for. This is a great way to start networking.

This is your chance to explore

Maybe you've got a vague idea about you want to do, but aren't a 100 percent sure. This is the perfect time to apply for that internship you're kind of interested in. Try positions that are vastly different. You probably won't like every one, but that will help you figure out what you don't want to do after graduation. Every internship should be a stepping stone, but it's okay if you bounce around in different departments to decide where you want to go.

Apply, apply, apply

Don't pin all your hopes and dreams on one internship. Applying for internships is kind of like applying for college. You should reach out to more than one. In a perfect world, you'd hear back from a few. We'd interview at every one you're asked to because it's great practice. Hopefully you get an offer or two and then pick the one you think is the best for you.

Don't forget about your classes

Unfortunately you've got to balance your intership with your courses. Make sure you pick an internship that respects the fact the fact that you're still a student. We'd recommend scheduling your courses first and then building your internship schedule around that.

Most companies won't pay interns and just give you credit towards your classes. You should be at your internship three days a week max. If you've got leave early one day a week to make it back to campus in time for night class, tell your internship supervisor when you're discussing schedules. They should be mindful of it and allow it. When you're at your internship, that should be your prioirty, but that worklife shouldn't come ahead of what you've got going on at school.