Image may contain: Smile, Portrait, Face, Human, Person, People

Sorority girl dies after being hit in the head with soccer ball

‘Heaven has gained a beautiful guardian angel’

Sorority girl Allie Brodie has passed away after being hit in the head with a soccer ball.

The Alabama freshman was taken to hospital after she was accidentally struck during a game with friends. Doctors diagnosed her with an intracranial hemorrhage, and placed her into a medical coma, which was then complicated by a hereditary brain condition and then pneumonia. She never woke up. She was 18.

Allie's family paid tribute to her last night, saying: "Heaven has gained a beautiful guardian angel."

Image may contain: Crowd, Smile, Portrait, Face, Potted Plant, Plant, Vehicle, Bus, Human, Person, People

Allie Brodie

"Our beautiful Allie fought as long as she could, but that wasn't God's plan," said Allie's mom Cindy. "Allie passed away yesterday afternoon but she will be in our hearts forever. She never came out of the coma, and couldn’t battle the complications from pneumonia. Heaven has gained a beautiful guardian angel, and we continue to seek peace in God’s plan for our sweet girl.

"We thank each and every one of you for all of the love, support, comfort, and prayers you have provided for us and Allie during this time. We are truly grateful and blessed to have met so many amazing people through this tragedy. God bless all of you."

Image may contain: Hair, Selfie, Portrait, Woman, Female, Blonde, Person, People, Human

"How incredibly sad," added Isabelle Javier. "I have tears rolling down my face, your family's heartbreak is felt by our entire community."

"Our hearts are heavy and our tears are many as we have learned of your loss," said Shelley Bergbower. "We will forever hold and treasure the memories we have of your Alex and the times she spent with our family."

Allie's sorority, Alpha Delta Chi, said: "We are deeply saddened by the passing of our sister, Allie Brodie. Though we only knew her a short time, Allie made a significant impact on our sisters. We will miss her tremendously."

A GoFundMe for Allie's medical bills is still online.