Police officer shot dead, student in custody after active shooter situation at Texas Tech

Texas Tech have now sounded the all-clear

UPDATE

A former mugshot of suspect Hollis A. Daniels, the Texas Tech freshman arrested for shooting dead a police officer tonight, has emerged.

Hollis A. Daniels

Hollis A. Daniels

Police records show Daniels was arrested this summer for speeding in Guadelupe, Texas, and fined $280.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott has offered his condolences:

"First and foremost, our hearts go out to the family of the police officer killed at Texas Tech University. I have spoken to Chancellor Robert Duncan to offer my condolences, and I have mobizled the Texas Department of Public Safety to offer any assistance to the Lubbock Police Department."

UPDATE

The suspect wanted in the Texas Tech shooting incident is now in police custody. Texas Tech have sounded the all-clear and lifted the campus lockdown.

The suspect was taken into custody on the east side of Jones AT&T Stadium, according to KLBK.

UPDATE

Police say they are searching for a 19-year-old freshman named Hollis A. Daniels in connection with the death of a police officer earlier tonight.

Reports say the suspect is 6 feet tall, 140 pounds, with red hair and blue eyes, wearing a white t-shirt and blue jeans. He is said to be driving a silver 2001 BMW.

Hollis A. Daniels

Hollis A. Daniels

Police repeated their request for students to stay indoors and remain in shelter.

UPDATE

Texas Tech has confirmed that the active shooter is a student who shot dead a police officer earlier tonight. He fled on foot from the police station where he killed the officer, and is currently at large.

A campus spokesperson said:

"Earlier this evening, Texas Tech Police made a student welfare check. Upon entering the room, officers found evidence of drugs and drug paraphernalia. Officers brought the suspect to the police station for standard debriefing. During this time, the suspect pulled a gun and shot an office in the head. The officer is deceased. The suspect fled on foot and is currently at large. Texas Tech University campus is on lockdown."

***

Campus is on lockdown at Texas Tech after an active shooter was reported.

University officials have told students to shelter in place, saying the shooter is "at large."

KCBD is reporting that a campus police officer has been killed after a student pulled a gun and shot them dead. The student then fled the scene, according to the report.

A Lubbock SWAT team is on the scene, along with a heavy police presence.

Go to Texas Tech's emergency site for info on sheltering in place.

More info as it comes.