Professor says students can take in a 3×5 notecard into exam, so this guy took one that was 3×5 feet long

Well played

A genius student came up with a brilliant lifehack to an exam – his professor said he could bring a 3×5 notecard, but didn't specify if that meant inches or feet. So he arrived with one that was 3×5 feet big.

Professor Reb Beatty, who teaches at a college in Maryland, posted: "First test day of the semester and as always, I allow a 3×5 notecard. Today, a student shows up with this."

"Sure enough, it is 3×5… feet," he added. "As precise as I am, apparently I never specified inches and therefore yes, it was allowed. Well played and lesson learned for me."

Speaking to The Tab, Reb explained: "I have never specified that it's three by five inches, and of all the students who have come through my classes, I've never had anything other than a 3×5 card.

"I came in the morning of the test and he's sitting in the front of the room with this big poster board. 'It's three by five feet,' he said. He found a loophole and it was fine with me, I wasn't going to punish him for taking advantage of that.

"Most the students found it hilarious. The general impression was 'why didn't I think of that?' He's a unique student, very engaging. From what I know of him I can see him having the intelligence to come up with the idea. There's not a lot of people who would pick up on the specifications and then have the audacity to try it. I applaud him for that."

Around 20,000 people have shared Reb's post of his genius student.