These are the most addictive features on your smart phone, according to research

It’s not what you think it is

The most used apps on cell phones are Facbook, Twitter, Youtube, and Email, according to a study from the Journal of Behvioral Addiction. Instagram and other social media applications followed closely behind.

Scientists conducted a study among 2,500 college students to observe cell phone habits and found out which apps on our cell phones are the most addicting for college-aged users.

According to the study, college-aged men and women spend nearly 9 hours per day on their cell phones. However, there are a few specific apps that take up a large chunk of that total time. Here’s the breakdown:

The study found that men and women spend an average of 95 minutes each day texting.

Surprisingly, college students spend nearly an hour each day checking emails.

Unsurprisingly, college-aged students spend a whopping hour and forty minutes each day on Facebook.

Probably due to the fact that viral videos have taken over and they’re a just black hole of endless entertainment.

Apparently, we only spend an average of 33 minutes on phone calls, 26 minutes scrolling through Twitter, and 17 minutes looking at pictures on Instagram.

This data suggests that most of our cell phone use is geared toward communication, as opposed to playing games or searching the Internet. Additionally, scientists have concluded that part of what makes one app more addictive than another is how it makes the cell phone user feel.

Interestingly, a user’s gender can play a large role in how much time a person spends on certain cell phone applications as well.

The research shows a trend of males utilizing their cell phones for utilitarian and entertainment purposes, evidenced by the apps they use. In contrast, the study found that females spent more time on social media than on other cell phone features.

More specifically, the findings reveal that males spend most of their time on their phones either sending emails, reading books, or making phone calls.

Whereas women were more likely to frequent Pinterest, Instagram, iTunes, or receive phone calls than their male counterparts.

There are an infinite amount of applications and features on our smart phones, and college students in particular spend hours and hours using them every day.