LGBT fans share their disappointment at Sense8 being cancelled on the first day of Pride month

The series promoted diversity and humanity in the sci-fi genre

Not even a month after releasing season 2 of Sense8 on May 5, Netflix has canceled the inventive, progressive sci-fi series. The news does not come without its strife, especially on the first day of Pride Month and only a week after the cancellation of The Get Down.

Sense8 followed a group of 8 interconnected strangers around the world who share a newly discovered psychic bond–making them “sensates”–that places them in imminent danger. They are chased down by a group of people who share a similar connection with one another, led by a man named Whispers. The ensemble cast featured Tuppence Middleton, Doona Bae, Jamie Clayton, Tina Desai, Max Riemelt, Miguel Ángel Silvestre, Brian J. Smith, and Toby Onwumere in its second and final season. Onwumere took on the role originated by Aml Ameen, which Ameen departed following a conflict with Lana Wachowski, as reported by Deadline.

VP of Netflix original content Cindy Holland released a statement regarding the decision to cancel the series:

“After 23 episodes, 16 cities and 13 countries, the story of the Sense8 cluster is coming to an end. It is everything we and the fans dreamed it would be: bold, emotional, stunning, kick ass and outright unforgettable. Never has there been a more truly global show with an equally diverse and international cast and crew, which is only mirrored by the connected community of deeply passionate fans all around the world. We thank Lana, Lily, Joe and Grant for their vision, and the entire cast and crew for their craftsmanship and commitment.”

The series created by Lana and Lilly Wachowski and J. Michael Straczynski for Netflix offered audiences a new perspective on the sci-fi drama, in which the characters explored politics, race, culture, identity, sexuality, religion, and gender. Sense8 won the 2016 GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Drama Series. The show embraced queerness and pushed the concept of progressive television to new heights. The racially diverse cast and fluid sexuality of all of the characters engaged a new narrative in which sex-positivity earned its place onscreen alongside bridging the divide between global cultures.

Fans realized the possibility of cancellation on Tuesday, which prompted #RenewSense8 to spread across social media. Cast member Brian J. Smith helped kick off the rallying cry when he got involved in working toward a renewal. Unfortunately, now we’ll never know what happens to Wolfgang or if he and Kala will finally be able to physically meet. Nevertheless, we’ll always have the 23 episodes the Wachowskis gave us and we’ll forever be grateful for that.

Sense8 reminded us that we all have a common connection in our humanity. The connectedness of the characters opened a dialogue about how we should embrace one another rather than further divide ourselves. Pride Month celebrates the power of diversity and strength in its commemoration of the June 1969 Stonewall riots, so the cancellation of Sense8 comes as a tough blow to the LGBTQ+ community during this month of love.

Members of the LGBTQ+ community expressed their pain over the cancellation of the beloved show:

“It’s a shame to see a show with such unapologetic and prominent LGBTQ representation be cancelled so quickly, and I think the backlash towards the show’s progressive portrayal of LGBTQ characters says a lot about the mentality of our country, especially right now.” -RJ

“I’m heartbroken. There are so many storylines and love stories that will never be explored any further. The characters in Sense8 were full of depth and honesty, and it felt like one of the only shows that brought the hidden into light and centered the marginalized. Its grasp of identity and the complexity of human relationship was exactly what entertainment in 2017 needed.” -Sam

Sense8 was definitely one of the top 5 best Netflix originals to come out since the streaming service started. For Netflix to cancel one of the most culturally diverse and inclusive shows is a slap in the face to not only the LGBTQ+ community but also everyone involved and the many fans of the show. The actual cancellation and its coincidental timing on the first day of Pride Month is disappointing and unfortunate.” -Kris

In another move against the LGBTQ+ community, President Trump chose not to proclaim June 2017 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month, undoing a tradition set by President Obama in 2009 and inspired by President Clinton in 2000.

Netflix, we don’t like it from him and we don’t tolerate it, but we expect it. We thought you were better than this.