Secret Spotify messages are the 2017 version of a mix CD, and people are getting really creative with them

Ah, young love

If you didn’t make moody Best Coast-packed mix CDs for your crush in the eighth grade, I honestly have no idea what you were expending all your brain energy on instead — certainly nothing important.

Which is why you’ll be excited to hear there’s a new way you can waste time coding secret messages to your crush, and it’s followed us all the way into this wild technological renaissance we seem to have stumbled into, where everyone has an iPhone 7 and nobody listens to music on a Walkman anymore.

Because of this, teens have become more creative in their confessions of love, and the result is hilarious Spotify playlists packed with songs people have never heard, as a means of spelling out a bigger, far more important, message.

Here is my favorite one

It really gets to the heart of the cause.

Although this is a close second

She’s really committed to it — making sure her significant other knows that she does not in fact have a sugar daddy, and never has.

Some people are taking it quite seriously

Like this guy who used Lana Del Rey’s song Love multiple times within the confines of one playlist.

While others are just getting aggressive about it

And a few get right to the point

Why waste time with foreplay?

So it’s only right that the next natural progression is breakup playlists

I guess it’s better than a breakup text? More personal, definitely.

And the best part is that we are no longer confined to twelve songs.

Spotify playlists can be as long as heart-breaking as we please.