One of the most popular perfumes on the market right now literally smells like nothing at all

tips

fads  • 

I’m not kidding, it’s marketed that way

There’s only one product flying off the shelves faster than the Kylie Lip Kit, and its slogan is “not a perfume” — but it is.

I’m kidding, I have no idea how many Lip Kits are sold a day, but I do know that Juliette Has a Gun’s Not a Perfume is currently one of the most popular perfumes on the market, and it’s almost entirely scent free.

It’s main ingredient, Cetalox, has a slight and unavoidable ‘woody’ scent, but that’s hardly noticeable.

Most of the time we’re only using perfume to mask the fact we haven’t done laundry in two-and-a-half weeks (maybe that’s just me), but if fragrance exists as a means of showing individuality, its existence in perfume means that sprits we place on our wrist each morning before heading out the door says something about us and what we like.

That’s why this perfume is so unique; this perfume doesn’t say anything about what we like. Instead, it says something about the people who like us.

Stick with me here: Fragrance has a lot to do with emotion, and though positive emotions are mostly dependent upon our relationships with individual people, scent plays a weirdly large role in that. Scent can evoke memories that remind us of moments and people — both good and bad.

This perfume enhances our human smell by amplifying pheromones as a way of attracting mates (and I don’t mean body odor). Like when you keep that shirt your boyfriend wore all last week and wear it without washing, because it still smells like him. Or after sex you fall asleep with your face on their chest even though the heavy smell in that room might appeal to literally nobody else.

It’s impossible to know your own human scent — it follows you around all day and you’ve become accustom to it — but I’m sure right now there’s the name of someone in your head whose scent you know well. Wouldn’t you love to bottle that up?

At least now they can bottle yours.

@carolinephinney