Tired of saying this, but a bunch of shitty men hacked female celebrities’ iClouds and leaked their nudes online – again

tips

news  • 

Targets include Suki Waterhouse and Miley Cyrus

Female celebrities are again the victim of an illegal iCloud hack, including Miley Cyrus, Suki Waterhouse, Rosario Dawson, Audrina Patridge, Francesca Mcfadden, Lily Rabe, Anna Marie Storelli, Whitney Port, Laura Ramsey, AJ Michalka, Dianna Agron, Kate Hudson, Alexa Bliss, Angelina McCoy, Daniela Lazar and Marin Ireland.

So why do we keep acting as if leaks like this are an isolated event?

In 2014 this happened for the first time with “the Fappening”. On that occasion, Ryan Collins, 36, sent fake emails, and got victims to unknowingly hand over their usernames and passwords. He then used that information to get into their email accounts, download their nudes, and leak them online — targeting female celebrities like Jennifer Lawrence, and Kate Upton.

Collins was arrested for unauthorized access to a protected computer to obtain information.

Last month it happened again, including celebrities like Amanda Seyfried and Emma Watson, Jillian Murray, Alyssa Arce, Rhona Mitra and Iliza Shlesinger. At the time, a spokesperson for Watson confirmed that there were in fact private photos stolen from a swimsuit fitting, but that the photos of an unknown woman in the bath with her face obscured, are not of her.

Clearly there are a lot of people doing this, which means sadly there must be a large audience interested in consuming it. And what is almost most shocking about a leak like this is the way we’ve become desensitized to hearing about it.

Similarly to last time, this isn’t about a photo of Miley Cyrus, or Suki Waterhouse. This is about the way we talk about females, and especially female celebrities. The fact that this keeps happening, proves this is about something much bigger than nudes.

@carolinephinney