Listen, can we please not do this shit?

Don’t do this shit you’re doing, please

I’m looking at you, Rachel Maddow. But I’m also looking at you, Bill Maher, and over at your direction Don Lemon and Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blitzer. I don’t know where Keith Olbermann is, but I’d be looking at him, too. And to a lesser extent I’m peeking over at Chuck Todd, and Chris Hayes, Chris Matthews and whomever passes as the liberal punching bag at Fox News these days.

Listen, all of you. Can we please not do this shit?

Here’s a newsflash that doesn’t require a 20-minute preamble: The most influential member of the Trump Administration is an unabashed white supremacist. That doesn’t require the use of hyperbole. Steve Bannon is an actual, literal, white supremacist. So is influential Iowa Republican Steve King. I’m not even going to provide links for this, because I don’t have to. That would be like if I told you that water is made of one atom of oxygen and two atoms of hydrogen, and you said, “Hey buddy, better check your sources.” No, you’re an idiot, and Steve Bannon and Steve King don’t like people who aren’t white. It’s proven fact. There are hundreds of white supremacists throughout our federal and state governments, and they’re getting used to being able to say and do very racist shit without repercussion.

Please, cover that stuff. Use words that matter. Two pages of tax returns from 12 years ago? Unless you have something that matters, please, Rachel, everyone. I know your ratings are important to you. But really, can we please not do this shit?

Here’s some other news you should really focus in on. The Secretary of Housing and Urban Development called slaves “immigrants”. That’s fucking insane. The Department of Education equated historically black colleges and universities to “school choice”, because segregation-by-law is apparently the innovator of change. Scott Pruitt, the man in charge of an agency that has the words “environmental protection” in its name, doesn’t believe that carbon dioxide is the primary driver of climate change. He is going to ruin the world, the entire world that we live on, because he is stupid and likes money more than his own family.

Cover that, spend an entire week of your broadcasting on just those things.

Paul Ryan hates poor people. Instead of tweeting out that you have Donald Trump’s tax returns 40 minutes before your show starts, shoot out a message that reads, “Paul Ryan wants your grandma to die (seriously).” Then do a whole show on how Paul Ryan literally, actually, 100 percent is OK with your grandma — and hundreds of thousands of grandmas and grandpas around the country — dying if it reduces the federal deficit, so that we can buy more bombs and launch them onto the heads of grandmas and grandpas somewhere east of Egypt and west of India.

Rachel, you have a PhD from Oxford University. Donald Trump tapes his tie together. And he’s beating you. Don’t let him do that. Please, don’t keep doing this shit.

This piece originally appeared on Medium.