hardest working college majors

Researchers have worked out which majors work the hardest in college

Nobody said English majors work that hard

According to data analysts who surveyed thousands of students across America, the hardest working college majors are architects – they study outside of classes for an average of 22 hours a week.

Engineers are next: as a group of majors they dominate the top of the charts, studying for around 20 hours a week. STEM majors feature heavily at the top, and you have to go quite far down to find anything in the arts. Any majors that you’d find difficult to explain to your parents – mass communications, public relations, or parks and recreation are all at the bottom with just over 10 hours a week.

See where your major ranks below – the stats come from Indiana University’s NSSE, the National Survey of Student Engagement. As a comprehensive survey, they compile answers from thousands of students, and passed their findings on to The Tab.

The number of hours below represent the average time spent in a week preparing for class – studying, reading, writing, and doing homework or lab work. The averages include freshmen and seniors.

hardest working college majors

Other articles recommended by this author –