Barack Obama says fight goes on for young black men

‘This is just the beginning’

vocbanner-2

A determined Barack Obama said he would continue with his personal charity, My Brother’s Keeper, at its final White House summit.

“This is just the beginning,” he told the audience, promising that he would stay involved in the initiative. “This is something I’ll be invested in for the rest of my life.”

My Brother’s Keeper, a nationwide program to help improve the lives of young men of color, showcases young minority men who have excelled in their communities despite personal hardship.

The Tab was invited to the event – the last one to be hosted at the White House – and watched as Obama explained he would be involved in the program for the rest of his life.

“I see myself in these young people,” Obama said. “I grew up without a father. There were times when I made poor choices, times where I was adrift. The only difference between me and a lot of other young men is that I grew up in a forgiving environment.”

Obama explained so many of the challenges these young men face are a consequence of neglect, spanning over multiple generations.

He added that a solution won’t happen overnight, but that he’s looking forward to working with the coming administration to continue finding solutions.