Nationwide campus walkout planned for Wednesday

#SanctuaryCampus is a new anti-Trump movement

A nationwide walkout is planned across American campuses this Wednesday to protest Donald Trump.

The President-elect’s victory has sparked a new wave of student activism, which began with protests on election night.

Walkouts on over a dozen campuses last week have now led to Wednesday’s event – it’s inspired by the hashtag #SanctuaryCampus, created by undocumented workers’ pressure group Movimiento Cosecha.

So far, there are at least 45 colleges across the nation planning to walk out of class, including Columbia, NYU, Brown, Rutgers, Pitt, and Penn State.

They say they are “committing to putting our bodies between Trump and our most vulnerable students.”

Search #SanctuaryCampus for your college’s event.

Event descriptions on Movimiento Cosecha say:

“Donald Trump is going to be the President of the United States. All students must unite to protect our most vulnerable people – including undocumented immigrants, Black people, Muslims, Queer people, and all people of color. Join the movement of students declaring their campuses sanctuary campuses and committing to put our bodies between the Trump administration and our undocumented students.”

“Sanctuary campus” petitions are circulating at the same time, calling on college admins to “protect the most vulnerable members of our community who have called [their college] home.”

They call for colleges to declare they will block immigration officials from receiving undocumented students’ information without their consent, and protect them from removal.