Bernie says Trump ‘tapped into the anger of a declining middle class’

It’s pretty pointed

Bernie’s response to Trump’s victory is out. He has just sent this noticeably pointed statement to journalists:

“Donald Trump tapped into the anger of a declining middle class that is sick and tired of establishment economics, establishment politics and the establishment media. People are tired of working longer hours for lower wages, of seeing decent paying jobs go to China and other low-wage countries, of billionaires not paying any federal income taxes and of not being able to afford a college education for their kids – all while the very rich become much richer.

Some supporters will conclude from Bernie’s response the suggestion that he could have competed with Trump better than Hillary Clinton did in the Midwest. During the Democratic primaries he beat his rival in Michigan, Indiana and Wisconsin.

The Bernie response statement continues:

“To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him.”

The Tab US