Women get paid 20 percent less, so we spent a day doing 20 percent less of everything

tips

IRL  • 

Sorry not sorry I didn’t make you come

Wouldn’t it be fun if girls only did what everyone gave them credit for?

Women in Iceland left work 14 percent earlier because of the country’s 14 percent gender wage gap.

In the US women make 20 percent less than men. So what would happen if we did 20 percent less of everything?

What if girls…

Only did 80 percent of their makeup?

Julia: To every girl who has ever been asked if she’s tired because she isn’t wearing eye makeup, this one’s for you.

Isn’t it kind of unfair that women are expected to look as presentable as men when their presence is worth 20 percent less? I think so. So, to honor this, I downplayed my presentation efforts by 20 percent.

Conveniently, I use five makeup items on a normal day (ugh so high maintenance, I know), so today was bye-bye mascara. Honestly, can you really expect me to care about my appearance when I know it’s only worth 80 percent of the appearance of the guy next to me?

Only drank 80 percent of their coffee?

Megan: I fell asleep 80 percent into a guy mansplaining. But at least I got to drink the whipped cream!

Only said 80 percent of sentences?

Eleni: I didn’t have to worry about being interrupted because I just stopped talking. You’re welcome.

Only had 80 percent of their hair done?

Kami: As someone with naturally, ridiculously big curly hair, it’s pretty evident when only a small portion of it is straightened. I’ve only straightened my hair once in the last two years, so people I knew were quite confused as I walked around with a major chunk of my hair straight as a pin.

Only gave a guy 80 percent of a blowjob?

Caroline: “What do you mean it’s not even worth it if you don’t get the last 20 percent?”

Left their class 20 percent earlier?

Kami: Typically, walking out of class early without letting your professor know is frowned upon in collegiate society. Women getting paid 20 percent less is frowned upon as well, but it still happens, so I figured “what the hell.” 15 minutes before my lecture ended, I packed up my bags and sauntered out of the classroom, with my 20 percent straightened hair blowing in the wind of the door that shut closed behind me.

Elle: Walking out of class early is awkward and everybody watches as you leave with all of your stuff. But I would’ve gotten less attention if I stayed in class since boys are the only ones with intellectual capacity and are bound to be more successful anyways.

Only did 80 percent of a workout?

Julia: In continuation of the “My appearance matters as much to me as my work matters to you” celebration, I also decided to relax a little in my workout. Instead of spending my normal morning hour at the gym, I spent 48 minutes. 20 percent less time, 20 percent less sweat – I think it was an all-around win-win. (Side note: I was also thinking of compensating for the 20 percent of workout time loss by eating 20 percent more, but decided I didn’t need to make myself sick for the cause.)

Only wore 80 percent of an outfit?

Taylor: I walked out of my house wearing everything but my shirt. In the cold Wisconsin fall this is not something I’d recommend. My tribal patterned bandeau was definitely not enough to save my stomach from the disapproving glares and cold fall wind. If my clothing is already distracting to men, I can’t imagine how distracted men are when I forgot to put on 20 percent of my clothing.

Only ate 80 percent of their meals?

Hayley: I was running late that morning, so I didn’t feel bad about only eating 80 percent of this pretty gross Starbucks breakfast. I do feel bad, however, about getting paid 20 percent less than men. I may be a lot of things, but I am no shitty Starbucks sandwich.

Only shaved 80 percent of their legs?

Elle: My eyesight is already worse than any man’s so I’m sure I already miss 20 percent of my leg hair anyways.

Only watched 80 percent of a show?

Eleni: I had to pause Netflix and go to bed before finding out who the killer was on a very intense episode of Criminal Minds. How unfair is that?

Only drove 80 percent of the way?

Hayley: I had a day full of classes, so this ultimately meant only driving 80 percent of the way to campus. This meant parking a lot of few miles down the road (and also having to pay for parking). So not only did I have to walk in the freezing Connecticut wind and rain to campus, but I also had to pay more money than I already do to just go to campus.

I made the journey a tiny bit better by only walking 80 percent of the way to campus before leaving to go get a coffee. I mean, why should I go to class anyway if I’m already going to be at a disadvantage when I get a job?

Did 20 percent less in dance class?

Elle: Men are stronger than me so why even try my best when a man could do what I do but better? I was scared to go into practice and not try my best because I knew my coach would be disappointed. I was yelled at all practice but refused to give 100 percent. I let not only myself down but also my team because that 20 percent of effort counted.

Only sent 80 percent of texts?

Taylor: I left out 20 percent of my text messages. Which was very confusing, especially because as a women I am already crazy and confusing by nature. First I left out punctuation, which normally takes up about 20 percent of my texts.

Next I left out a very important word. One word could be the difference between having a life threatening illness and getting the vaccine for them. 20 percent is more important than you think.

Only took 80 percent of notes?

Megan: “It’s fine – women can’t even do science!”

Only did 80 percent of our work?

We don’t. So don’t pay us 20 percent less.

Contributors: Caroline Phinney, Hayley Gola, Julia Barr, Kami Thomas, Megan Platt, Noelle Fallacara, Taylor Palmby.

@elenimitzali