The awkward state troopers are the real heroes of college football

Be as still as possible

Opening weekend saw arguably the greatest set of opening fixtures in CFB ever. The weekend lived up to all of the hype too,  Alabama thrashed USC, UGA and UNC played out an underrated thriller, Houston upset Oklahoma, LSU fell to Wisconsin and J.T. Barrett broke all sorts of Buckeye records. And that was just Saturday.

Week two was supposed to be quiet too. It wasn’t. With all of the drama going on it has been easy to miss arguably one of the most underrated aspects of college football, the awkward state troopers standing behind coaches during their interviews.

Reddit user r/goddarnhooplehead made the fantastic observation in his own text thread in r/CFB. Other Reddit users agreed that the awkward state troopers standing behind coaches in interviews make for great viewing. In the thread, user r/Kunt_Vonnegut shared this picture of a state trooper that looks scarily like Danny Trejo:

The original poster r/goddarnhooplehead then posted his personal favorite from the weekend. It came during an interview with Jimbo Fisher in the Monday night game.

I then went on the hunt for the best state troopers from game weeks one and two. Just like the state trooper in the FSU game, this trooper is fantastic just because he knows he can’t look at the camera.

I found that the state troopers placed between the interviewer and coach are particularly awkward just because they are a real distraction. The trooper from the Charlotte-Louisville game is so great just because you can tell he’s trying his best to look anywhere but the camera.

Huge shout out to the state trooper from game week two in the LSU-Jacksonville State game. He manages to stand impressively still and the shadow from his hat really means he could be looking anywhere.

The award for best state trooper from the opening two weeks however has to go to the man in the Northwestern State-Baylor match.

Watch how he tries to subtly hide himself behind Jim Grobe to avoid the spotlight, anything to avoid the spotlight clearly.