Everything that happened when Trump visited a Black church in Detroit

‘Trump is antithetical to everything my people are praying for’

“I am here today to listen to your message, and I hope my presence here will also help your voice to reach new audiences in our country,” Trump said before the congregation of Great Faith International Ministries today.

For several of the past election cycles, presidential hopefuls have made their rounds through weekend church services in an attempt to appeal to Black Americans – a key voter base for the Democratic Party. Republicans haven’t been able to connect with this group, through both their social and economic views.

And now, Trump is polling worse among Black voters than almost every other Republican nominee. According to the Washington Times, in a two-way match-up with Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump gets less than one percent of the Black vote. Even his polling among Latinos fares better (at 19 percent), despite his plans for massive deportation and a wall between Mexico and the United States.

But the Trump camp has a plan. Earlier today, Trump delivered an opening speech at Great Faith International Ministries in Detroit. He was welcomed by Bishop Wayne T. Jackson, and (most of) the congregation. He sat in one of the first few rows, swayed back and forth to the music, and took center stage, which, reporters were previously told, would not happen. He spoke about the love within the Black community and condemned the “sidelining” of young, Black men. He even quoted a verse from John.

Outside, protesters surrounded the building, holding Clinton-Kaine and other anti-Trump signs to voice their dissatisfaction with the nominee’s presence in their Detroit neighborhood. Critics have accused Trump of pandering with this visit, given his abysmal polling among minorities. However, campaign manager, Kellyanne Conway says that Trump “deserves credit” for this visit. “Usually, Republican nominees are not bold enough to go into communities of color and compete for all ears and all votes.”

This sudden stop in Detroit follows another surprising trip to Mexico, where Trump spoke to Mexican president, Enrique Peña Nieto. Both Peña Nieto and Bishop Jackson have since faced criticism from the people they represent.

Members of the Black community used Twitter to voice their reactions to Trump’s visit.

Even comedian Loni Love had something to say.

As for the rest of the day, Trump has plans to visit impoverished Detroit neighborhoods with supporter and ex-opponent, Dr. Ben Carson.

He will also meet with Pastor Mark Burns, an outspoken supporter within the African-American community, who has said, for a long time, that Trump would be much better for African-Americans than any Democrat.