Devil’s advocates are the worst people this election

But like, just to play devil’s advocate for a second here…

Devil's Advocate Election Season Political Debates Politics Social Media

Stop playing the devil’s advocate in political conversations and debates. The position is inherently flawed, and although it seems like you’re being the voice of reason, you are partaking in a regressive debate tactic.

It’s an election year which creates greater fervor for online political debates amongst friends and relatives. A wholesome, lively, and informed discussion and/or debate is something anyone should take up the chance to join. Opportunities for mental stimulation and the exchange of ideas are how we’ve become a civilized society. I am actually a strong proponent of participating in a principled political debate on social media. These can actually be informative without any mansplaining, misogyny, and racism—the usual detractors from substantive conversation.

What is all too commonplace on social media platforms though is ignorance, willful ignorance at that. The one thing that remains as a catalyst for this willful ignorance to continue onward is the heavenly devil’s advocate.

Two people begin a comment section debate on the gender pay gap. One person acknowledges its existence and one person decries the pay gap as a myth (take a guess at which person is the man here). A third person, the devil’s advocate, comes along to tell the angry gender pay gap believer the gap may exist, but overall women are generally becoming more successful and misuses statistics to back up his claims.

It’s time to let up and acknowledge this isn’t an issue worth being so upset about anymore. The devil’s advocate might even tell this person that they should calm down and stop being so angry. All the while this devil’s advocate actually believes the gender pay gap exists, voted for Bernie Sanders, happens to be a registered Democrat, and here they are emboldening a view they know is wrong.

What is so convenient about the devil’s advocate position is it requires little to no work to take up in discussion.

Playing the devil’s advocate is pandering to the ignorant rather than challenging what you know is wrong. It’s an even easier position to take up if you side with the oppressed party but happen to be a privileged person yourself. It’s a privilege to decide you just won’t fight on the side which will promote progress, just because you happen to feel like it that particular day. Being the devil’s advocate doesn’t require further reading and acquisition of knowledge on a subject. It entails silencing the oppressed, or anyone who is an ally of a social justice movement, with cries of “calm down” and “I always wonder how being a white man in these situations of injustice feels like.”

Can you truly stand on the side of progress while stepping into the argument as a new barrier using hold-on-wait-a-minute tactics?

Think of the ground lost when you become an impediment to progressive thought and reform.

Are you challenging the mind of someone you could be enlightening? What remains clear is how you are an ally to whatever social justice issue you purportedly support is seriously called into question.

To my devil’s advocates reading this, the next time you want to engage in a comment section debate, choose the side which will enlighten those who remain ignorant. The side which will enlighten will never be the devil’s advocate position. Make this rule one for yourself.

Ignorant people already have the position you’re against covered, they don’t need your help. What they unknowingly need is your knowledge on the subject.