How to make your summer fling last through fall

Just in time to snuggle by the fire

Even though the weather is still hot, the anxiety of going back to school has set in. Soon enough we’ll be back to new classes and old friends, but what’s going to happen to our summer fling?

Whether you expected it or not, you seem to have fallen for the fling you’ve been having the most amazing summer with. He could be the one you met on vacation or at the party our best friend dragged us to in June. He’s the summer fling we hope and pray turns into more, but there doesn’t seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel.

Well summer isn’t over and it’s time to catch that boy before the leaves fall.

Make whimsical future plans

This could either be a trip to California or even a casual invite to watch a football game. The key is to subtly hint at the future and get him comfortable with you being a part of it. You will find out things he’s never done before and share activities you’ve never done and next thing you know you’ll have a list of restaurants and fun little adventures to go on together.

Take an interest in his interests (and also make sure you share some)

Ask him questions. Really get to know him and let it be known that you want to get to know him. Research those obscure bands he’s into and laugh at the silly shows he has you watch. Make sure, though, he knows about your Instagram addiction and how you give your opinion about everything. Most importantly, make sure you share interests and aren’t too different because opposites do not always attract.

Take an interest in bettering him as a person

This is very important because this shows you are not just in this for free food or entertainment, but because you actually care about the other person.

A relationship is a team effort and is give and take. This means you should be with someone who is able to make you a better person and you them. You want your partner to survive and thrive with the resources you have found to be successful. This makes them and you a better person than before with less pronounced weaknesses.

REMEMBER: Do not, under any circumstances, push views or force the person to change. You want to better them, not change them. If you feel the need to change them all together, then honey, this just isn’t the guy for you.

Talk to his friends

It couldn’t hurt to get some of them on your side. So next time you’re at a party or get-together, talk to them and show them how great you are and how easily you could fit into their friend group. That way they will run to your fling, begging you guys to get together.

Talk to your friends

Girl talk is beyond important.

You vent your feelings and come to stunning epiphanies, and your BFFs can lurk on his social media. You don’t want to find out later that your dream guy is actually a psycho and you didn’t have the guts to check.

Additionally, while you are at a party, make sure you bring your best friend to watch your interactions and judge if he’s really into you or if you’re just seeing through rose colored glasses.

Hang out a lot but do NOT forget about your own life

If we are all being honest, once you meet someone who gets you and who you like, you never want to leave them.

Every time he texts you to hang out, you want to answer with “yes, of course I’m only watching Netflix for the fourth hour in a row.” You need to repress this urge and every once and a while say no. This assures him you have a life and friends and are a semi-normal person. And this allows him to miss your presence and will be more likely to realize that having you in his life for a long period of time could be a good idea.

Under no any circumstances try to play hard to get. He will think you like playing games and be totally turned off. But also do not blow off your friends or seem too desperate.

Assess the situation

Finally, after doing what seems like relentless inception of ‘girlfriend material’ into his mind, you must take a step back for a moment and ask yourself if you really want this, and especially “is he really worth all of this?”

There will be trials and troubles along the way and you have to be able to overcome them. You have to make sure that this is the best option. A guy can seem perfect and you can want him so bad, but if he can’t give you what you need or help you to grow as a person as you would to him, you are wasting your time.

You deserve more than pretty arm candy.

If he doesn’t get what you’re putting down then be straight forward

If you are completely sure this guy is the one for you and it has been a sufficient amount of time with no foreseeable progress, take action.

There could be a myriad of reasons of why he hasn’t asked you to be his better half. If impatience gets the best of you, it is time to ask him directly. This is a risky move, but I promise you when he looks you in the eye and says the exact words you’ve been waiting to hear for weeks, all the paranoia and frustration will melt away and suddenly you feel like the luckiest girl in the world.

Good luck.