‘Lord knows the South needs some saving’ – so why aren’t Southerners stepping up?

‘Dozens of individuals expressed support, but not one has offered to do the same work’

I am one of five or so Stanford 2016 graduates returning to the South after graduation. Only two of us, as far as I can determine, are returning to engage in local social issues facing this region. Considering about one in five members of the Class of 2016 will remain in the Bay Area, my return to fight for social justice in the American South makes my journey a unique one.

What does it mean to my community when I am telling them about my future plans? This is my current Facebook profile picture.

The caption reads: “B.A. Communication – B.A. African & African American Studies – Academically certified to communicate some racial justice to Southern politicians.” It was by far my most popular post ever.

The comments read along these lines: “Come help us now,” “Your timing is perfect” and “Lord knows the South really needs some saving.”

Some of these individuals already do work on the ground in their respective cities and towns. Most work at companies, go to college, or enjoy retirement. All of these individuals are amazing and wonderful people. All the people who have supported me in my return to the South show great enthusiasm for what I intend to do. The majority wish me luck as I try to bring about more racial justice, better education, a stronger economy and more to this historically underserved and demographically complicated region.

But of the dozens of individuals who have expressed their support, not one has offered to do the same work.

Sure, not everyone can be an activist, nor do most people want to engage in the work that makes you one. Yet something feels a little off when your friends believe your own activism negates the need to engage with issues in their own community.

I am one person. I am not going to be able to revolutionize the South alone, especially when individuals with similar beliefs and dreams for our country disengage. You must not rely on me to change it all. We’ve done that for the history of our country with our politicians and it only ever gets us so far.

If you’re mad about Orlando, North Carolina’s HB2, the racism and xenophobia seeded in the presidential race, you must act. You cannot blame the politicians, you cannot rely on those who may seem more powerful or knowledgeable. You cannot sit by and complain while legislators pass bills that hurt marginalized communities, candidates criminalize an entire religion, or when Congress fails to pass gun control.

You must call every single one of your senators before they vote on background checks. You must drink from reusable water bottles. You must resist the temptation to say your black friend precludes you from racism. You must support businesses, government officials and activists who are actively dismantling racism. You must join those parties by also engaging in constructive racial justice dialogue when you know something is wrong.

You must donate money or time to organizations like SONG or the NAACP when they engage in battles against efforts to further push certain communities to the margins. Your political alignment does not matter to me. Your passion and empathy for improving the lives of your neighbors, of your fellow citizens, of your world, do.

Your citizenship on this planet implores you to act every day.

Yes, a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world, but it is a hell of a lot easier to do so when you have millions behind you taking small, tangible actions every day towards the world we envision – the one that is peaceful, welcoming, accepting and equitable to all its inhabitants, human, animal, plant.

Ask me what I am doing to change someone’s life every single day. Once I am done with my answer, I expect you to tell me the same.