You can’t call us out for wearing makeup and then make fun of our acne

‘Shrug off the haters’

Nothing is worse than waking up, heading to the bathroom, and seeing a pimple. Whether it is a new occurrence, or has been a daily struggle since a young age, acne sucks.

We’re bogged down by countless creams which say they work when really, who knows? We have already spent loads of money on products that don’t work. Let’s add a few more to the list.

Our lives shouldn’t be based solely on our looks, but we’re intimidated by people with silky-smooth skin. What’s worse is that when we learn to apply makeup as a means of handling the situation, we get called out for that too.

So to remind those suffering with acne that they are not alone, I collected stories from a number of girls fighting the same good fight.

Alyssa Bolt, 20, University of Miami 

When did you start getting acne?

I started getting acne around 11 or 12, after getting my period. It started out as a few pimples, but quickly became uncontrollable and turned into what I later found out is called cystic acne – swollen, hard, painful and bloody.

Socially, it sucked. Around fifth or sixth grade, I started wearing makeup and realized I was quite good at it. I now use makeup to cover up any time I go out somewhere, and it makes me feel more confident.

Did you ever have moments of shame because of it?

If I don’t wear makeup, I feel like that’s all anyone sees. If I do wear makeup, I feel I’m tricking people (particularly guys I’ve dated). It’s a catch-22. I’m trying to internalize the lesson that if a guy really cares about me, he won’t care what’s underneath the makeup, but it’s taking time to really get there.

Have you visited a dermatologist or any doctor to treat it?
I’ve visited 3 dermatologists. I’ve tried literally everything. Nothing has worked.

A few years ago, I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome, or cysts on the ovaries. This causes hormonal imbalance that has numerous side effects, two being extreme acne and uncontrollable weight gain.

I finally had proof this wasn’t just “in my head,” and a medical issue was directly causing these things.

Do you follow a routine to keep your face clean?

I use african black soap, a witch hazel toner, a vitamin-C serum, and finish it off with Aveeno moisturizer. I also use an aztec bentonite clay three times a week.

Do you think media helps the way you view yourself?
I’m really good at makeup, and I know advertisements are all photoshopped and the girls are slathered in makeup so I don’t really look and go “Jeez, I wish my skin was as clear as hers,” because I know it’s not real.

I get extremely jealous of friends in real life that have perfect skin and don’t have to put any work into it. Hearing them complain about one small pimple like it’s the end of the world is like… come on man, really?

Is there anything you wish you told your younger self going through or about to go through acne?

Acne has really impacted my self-esteem growing up and it still does now.

I’ve been terrified of guys I was interested in or friends I wasn’t super close with seeing me without makeup, and I’m ready to not have to feel afraid anymore.

Knika Pandey, 19, Emory University

When did you start getting acne?

When I was 12. I hated going out every time I had pimples because I felt ugly and judged.

I felt like people would just stare at my acne rather than see my personality. I used to get called out about it and called Rudolph if it was on my nose.

I make sure I wash my face every day and stay moisturized.

I think media gives an image of what a perfect, pretty girl looks like, and everyone aspires to be similar to that.

It gets better. And if not, at least you’ll learn to apply makeup properly.

Andrea Vasquez, 19, New York University

When did you start getting acne?

I thought I was one of the lucky ones, but then I got it sophomore year of high school.

Was there anything anyone said that made you feel worse because of it?

Someone would point out, “You have a pimple!” Or whenever I broke out someone would say, “What happened to your face?”

You can see up close shots of some celebrities and see their imperfections and it makes me think, “Wow! I’m not alone!”

I don’t wash my face properly at all, but when I eat better I notice that my face gets clear.

My mom always says she’ll take me, but instead she’ll find an organic recipe on Pinterest and sometimes it helps.

Learn to put on makeup! Cover all those imperfections! Feel confident! My face feels clear now, so it’s only a teenage phase. As you get older your face does get clearer.

Heather Drwyer, 19, Hudson County Community College

When did you start getting acne?

I started getting acne when 8th grade hit. In high school it made me not want to talk to anyone when I didn’t have makeup on.

Yes, plenty! The worst though, was when I was out with family, and someone kept on pointing it out very loudly. Every time we passed a group of kids my age, it was pointed out.

“You have acne because you’re unhealthy and fat,” was usually the number one thing people went to say first.

I use Garnier’s charcoal scrub every night before bed, and a clean and clear astringent in the morning.

I’ve visited a dermatologist and he gave me some topical stuff which didn’t really help.

You shouldn’t have hid. I have so much regret in doing so. There was so much I wanted to do in high school that acne made me too nervous to.

Maria Huapalla, 19, Hudson County Community College

When did you start getting acne?

In the 7th grade. I instantly hated it because I got it on my forehead, my chin, and my nose. I was nervous to take selfies with my friends, and picture day was the worst. My cousin and people from school used to make fun of me. I was called Rudolph the red nose reindeer, and crater face.

I use Mary Kay products that help my face clear up. For years I begged my mom to let me go to a dermatologist, but she never let me. Thanks Mom!

You see all these models and actors have clear, beautiful skin; you can’t help but need that. At the same time, seeing all the famous people that also have acne, you realize that no one is perfect. You simply have to deal with it and move on and try to be happy.

Shrug off the haters. I was beautiful back then and I’m still beautiful now. I still have acne but I don’t let it control my life. I just cry a little when it’s the day before a concert or interview.

Lauren Sarah Cocking, 21, Huddersfield, United Kingdom 

When did you start getting acne?

I never really had acne as a teenager, just the odd, normal spot. I started getting really bad “bacne” out of nowhere at the start of this year. It was annoying mainly because I felt a bit like people would automatically stare if they could see my back.

Plus, I love backless tops so it limited me to what I wanted to wear during summer and for formal events, like my end of year ball.

I don’t think I ever felt shame, more just this underlying feeling of knowing that it looks a bit gross. I went away with a big group of friends recently, and they all reassured me that no one would notice and I shouldn’t worry.

I can’t remember anyone ever making a comment about it. My housemates actually helped at the beginning, suggesting ways to get rid of it and helping me apply topical creams every single day. Friendship right there.

Do you follow a routine to keep your skin clean?

I just wash in the shower and use face wipes.

I went to a doctor right after having it for about three months and not having seen improvement with some strong over-the-counter Clearasil stuff that I bought. They’ve put me on a course of antibiotics for seven month.

I guess I’ve never considered it too much, but I wouldn’t consider myself too swayed either way. It’s clear the media projects an image of perfection for women in particular but I tend not to let that bother me too much.

Suck it up and wear that backless top, none of your friends care, and who else’s opinion do you really care about anyway?

Clarity Engel, 19, University of Colorado Boulder

When did you start getting acne?
I started getting acne in 5th grade! When I got into middle school I was incredibly embarrassed. The guy I had a crush on in 7th grade called me pizza face. I was very nervous to go to the pool. I wouldn’t even go to the gym without makeup.

I’ve been to so many dermatologists and through so many skin routines. My acne is genetic mostly. Proactiv made my skin worse. Topical creams worked for a while such as Retin-A, and antibiotics too. Those definitely toned down the acne, but when I attended college for my first year I immediately started to get cystic acne. 
Once I got the cystic acne I started the process to go on Accutane, which is awful by the way, but Accutane is the wonder drug. It makes your acne so much worse at first because it brings everything out, but my skin is beautiful now.

I think the media constantly shoves products in your face with a celebrity holding them and says, “this works,” when really they haven’t done any of the research behind it. Acne comes in numerous forms, so no, I don’t think the media has helped me.

As you can see, no one is perfect, but that is what makes us such special, beautiful people. Keep wearing that makeup and doing your thing.