Try not flipping out next time you meet a college Republican

They’re not all weird old men

It is human instinct to be scared of things not like us, and so it makes sense that in the liberal bubble of collegiate life, we jump at the very thought of Republicans. Meeting someone who is a Trump supporter almost always sets off alarms.

In my close friend group, those who voice their support for him are immediately shot down. Even admitting you lean right of center has been known to cause tension or breaks in relationships.

My roommate next year, Rachel, is a Republican. She admitted it to me when we first met; the fact that I refer to it as ‘admitting,’ makes it pretty transparent where my political tendencies lie.

However, I know there is more to Rachel than what I disagree with. And what I particularly do not agree with is my friends jumping to the conclusion all Republicans are “misguided idiots.”

I’m will never embrace Rachel’s views, and she will never embrace mine, but I am at least open to understanding her side.

What is especially notable about Rachel is her acceptance of my liberal disposition. The number of Democratic friends I have who would never be open to living with, or befriending a Republican speaks volumes about our own political party.

The only conflict related to political affiliation I can foresee will be what channel we decide to watch on election night. (I may or may not hide the remote the night before.)

With the intention of trying to break some common stereotypes about this ‘alien species,’ and possibly convince college students to put politics aside when meeting new people, I had a sit down with her and asked her about some of the things she hears most as a Republican in college.

“One thing I hear a lot is that conservatives like violence because we support pro gun laws,” she said, “which could not be further from the truth”.

I would hope nobody likes violence in a context outside of action movies, but my roommate’s family hunts animals, not people.

“Another thing I’ve been accused of is racism. I am not, in any way, a racist.

“In fact, coming from a mixed family I’ve dealt with racism extensively. Conservatives are not inherently racists. Politics keeps racism alive by bringing it to every topic for discussion.”

I know for some this might be a mind blowing realization, but it can happen. One racist candidate does not define an entire political party.

“Coming from a conservative family, as well as from a more conservative environment, the values preached in my home were not ‘white supremacy’, or any sort of racism or violence.

“The values preached were things like hard work, and the importance of education.”

There are respectful, hardworking, pleasant conservatives not spitting out profanities on a regular basis – this just happens to be the side no one ever sees.

As Rachel told me, “so many people assume completely false stereotypes about individuals because of their political party affiliation”.

Aside from our opposing views, we share similar interests, like going to the theater and attending other artistic performances.

Rachel is from a suburban middle class town in Pennsylvania, nowhere near the deep South – although being from the deep South would not automatically define her either. Rachel, as well as the few – but somewhat prevalent – conservatives at my college, are not all white men. They’re not all rich and gun-toting either. They are educated, organized, and well spoken.

I like to think of them as the non-Trump supporting, somewhat more humane side of the Republican party everyone has forgotten exists since he has come onto the scene.

I doubt I will ever be convinced to vote for any republican candidate, but that wasn’t my purpose in writing this. Understanding fosters better relationships, and in college, one will be exposed to many different types of people – some you will be very comfortable with, and some you will not.

Exposing yourself to the people who make you less comfortable helps you to grow as a person, and opens a lot of doors for you. I hope my roommate and I, and anyone else in our position, can look past these differences and learn to stop stereotyping and alienating one another because of political standings.