Losing my dogs to divorce

No self-help book can help with this

No one ever welcomes divorce with open arms. Divorce is scary and changes your life in ways you could never imagine.

Sure, my parents weren’t perfect, but who is? The only perfect marriages were the ones in fairytales, aka made up marriages.

Suddenly that all changed. My parents sat my brother and I down and told us that after 23 years of marriage, they were separating. Not only that, but my father would be moving several hours away. I then began to question everything I had grown up to believe.

It didn’t take long for another bomb to hit my world. In addition to my parents ending their marriage, and my father moving away, he would also be taking two of our dogs with him, Koda and Fletcher.

Koda, Saemus, and Fletcher

My family and I have three dogs. Koda, a tiny black Pomeranian mix, Saemus, our terrier mix, and Fletcher, our 70 pound Lab/Pitbull mix.

They were my family’s entire world, and they were as close with each other as they are to every member of the family.

Growing up, I had always wanted a dog. I had had cats my entire life and loved them, but nothing could compare to the love of a dog. I remember my brother and I begging my parents for a dog for years, giving all these false promises of how we would take complete care of them at 12 and eight (kudos to my parents for seeing right through our bullshit).

It wasn’t until 2010 when my parents finally caved. That was when we went and adopted Koda, the first of our dogs. Three years later, I came home from school one weekend to Saemus on my bed, and a year after that, my parents woke me up one Saturday morning and told me that they had found yet another dog to adopt, Fletcher. At this point, the cats had all passed away (we weren’t that crazy).

It didn’t take long for any of the dogs to become the stars of our family. Follow my mom on Facebook for a day and you will understand what I mean.

When I’m at home, at least one dog is in the same room as me at all times. It’s safe to say I love these dogs more than I do most people I’ve met in my life (sorry, not sorry).

Can’t you tell he loves me?

It’s tough to even imagine not having all three dogs together every day. They are the best of friends, how could you break that up?

The thought of not having any of them run towards me when I come through the door breaks my heart. The thought of them not all climbing onto my bed on a Sunday morning sends tears to my eyes.

I understand why they have to go, and know that this won’t be the last time I see them, but how do you say goodbye to someone who has become a part of your everyday life?

Thankfully, they won’t be leaving for a couple of months, and you can bet I will be spending every moment with them.

After all, why hang out with people when you can hang out with dogs instead?