I’m a Northerner, but food in the South changed my life

Krispy Kreme all day, every day

Some say the golden arches of McDonald’s are the equivalent to the gateway to heaven. However, as greasy hamburgers, questionable McNuggets and heavily salted fries were never mentioned in any religious text, I have to believe heaven looks a little different than a drive-thru.

Raised by a somewhat health-conscious mother in Connecticut, fast food was never really on my radar. Truth be told, the “happy meal” toy regularly advertised between Disney Channel shows was perhaps the only reason my young self would have requested a visit to such golden arches.

Before you chicken finger-loving fast food enthusiasts leave the page, however, I will admit that my negative outlook on popular American chains somewhat shifted when a move to the South greeted me with a warm doughnut and indulgent milkshake in hand.

Chick-fil-A, Krispy Kreme, Cook Out and more – all popular food chains of the South – have left my car regularly situated by a window encasing a woman in a paper hat asking, “What d’y’all want?” The following list chronicles my first impressions, experiences and of course, now educated recommendations from a Northerner exploring the many food chains of the South.

Krispy Kreme

Moving to the South, a Dunkin’ Donuts loyalist, I was somewhat taken aback by the sweet-smelling heavily glazed donuts around every corner. As Winston-Salem, NC – the town where my college is located – is home to this sweet Southern delicacy, it was not long before I became acquainted with such unfamiliar doughnuts.

Truly like a pillow, these light doughnuts have an air-like texture with an unbelievably sweet and melt-in-your-mouth glaze that will satisfy even the greatest sweet-tooth. Filled, glazed, or frosted, Krispy Kreme’s wide variety of doughnuts guarantees a flavor for all, leaving some questioning – though I can’t believe I’m saying this – if America truly does “run on Dunkin.”

What to order: Keep it classic, a dozen of the original glazed (best, and I repeat best, when the chain’s “hot light” is on)

Cook Out

Move aside McDonald’s, Wendy’s and all the in-betweens, there is a new (burger) king in town. Cook Out, dispersed all throughout the South, is home to some of the best burgers, chicken fingers, MILKSHAKES and quesadillas around. Open until the early hours of the morning, this chain will satisfy any late night craving and encourage the sampling of new Southern specials. I’m still not quite sure how I feel about hush puppies.

In a category of their own, however, are Cook Out’s 46 different milkshake flavors that make McDonald’s McFlurry look as boring as a “fish filet sandwich.” Though perhaps impossible to drink with a straw, when enjoyed with a spoon, these milkshakes are a treat you won’t believe.

What to order: A mix-n-match tray to sample the menu and most importantly, a MINT OREO MILKSHAKE

Chick-fil-A

Even as a child, the inside of chicken McNuggets never looked quite right. Therefore, during my first visit to Chick-fil-A, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and service of this fast food joint. Though I am extremely hesitant to say such a destination provides all healthy options, I do believe the quality of Chick-fil-A far exceeds that of its greasier competitors.

Just be sure to hold off your cravings on the final day of the week, as all Chick-fil-A locations are closed on Sunday. Don’t worry, though – I think Cook Out is open.

What to order: Chick-fil-A chicken strips with Chick-fil-A sauce and lemonade

Bojangles

While almost any popular chain can claim a reputation for superb fried chicken, Bojangles places themselves a “fry” above the rest as chicken is served with (or perhaps surrounded by) a buttery and flaky traditional Southern biscuit. Though a catch phrase of “it’s Bo-time” might fail to paint an image of quality, I will argue that simply one Bojangles biscuit (any biscuit of your choosing) will guarantee a return visit.

Though I am still not sold on the chain’s sweet tea – arguably offering more sugar than tea – if in the mood for something to satisfy a dessert craving, the Bo-berry biscuit, a blueberry biscuit with a sweet glaze, outdoes and out-satisfies even your favorite blueberry muffin.

What to order: a biscuit, truly any biscuit

Some come for the weather, others for the charm and some…for the chains. If you find yourself turning your nose to the hamburgers and hot dogs of the typical Northern chains, try a biscuit or taste a milkshake from one of the classic Southern fast food destinations and watch your preconceived notions regarding fast food dwindle faster than the number of doughnuts in your Krispy Kreme box.