Why Plainsboro is the best possible community to grow up in

Don’t judge it by its slower pace

Plainsboro is so tiny, only the surrounding towns know it exists. Perhaps the fact that it’s in the middle of central, the one part of New Jersey many refuse to acknowledge exists, doesn’t help. But it’s there. It’s covered with trees but not so much that it’s hidden. Any native knows growing up in Plainsboro is like growing up under a comfortable, quiet rock.

So little ever happens that even when a couple argues, 10 police cars show up — cause that’s all the action they’re gonna get.

Most of us have deemed it the most boring place to exist now and forever, but lets take a moment to remind ourselves of why “Pboro” is still poppin in its own way.

We’re fun sized

If you want to see your best friend, you can probably cross a street or two and they’ll be there. Having so many condo developments doesn’t just mean lots of noise thanks to thin walls and kids, it means community. It’s hard to appreciate knowing and having so many people around until you move to some dry little neighborhood where you know no one.

Plainsboro is the epitome of convenience. Whether it’s food you want or company, you can have it in less than 5 minutes. When it comes to developments, the only bad decision ever made was changing the names. Fox Run will never be The Crossings, sorry.

The Asian Food Market Mall

Nobody can deny that Bagel Street is the best kept secret of this world. If you live in Hunters Glen or Fox Run, it’s a mandatory stop in the morning. Then again, even if you live further, it’s still your breakfast of choice. Nobody questions how many cups of butter they pour onto each bagel and nobody cares.

Then, less than a hundred feet away you have Aljons for your pizza cravings, Thai food, Indian food — the works. If you’re really in the mood for pocky, that’s when you brace yourself and go into the Asian Food Market, where every aisle smells like fish.

This mall is a food paradise, but what kids may not know now is it was actually perfection when there used to be a Carvel.

Nothing ever happens

It’s about time we appreciate the nothing that happens in this town. Seeing people leave their car doors open — key in ignition — and even their house door really speaks to the extent of safety in this town.

Perhaps these are Plainsboro ways of doing trust falls. Either way, it’s as chill as you can get.

Redberry

Frozen yogurt is only a skip or jump away no matter where you live. It may not be as hot of a place as when it first opened, but maybe we only have ourselves to blame for wearing it out. Back in 2012, Redberry was one of those places everybody went to hang out after school.

If you weren’t there to chill, you were probably working there yourself as your first job. For now, it remains the only yogurt place in the area, so don’t worry Redberry — you’re still loved.

Princeton

We are so close to one of the most well known hotspots in the state — Princeton. The best part is, we don’t actually live there so we don’t have to deal with the crazy driving and overly nonchalant pedestrians with a death wish. A 10 minute drive and we’re there.

It’s amazing how it has become everyone’s default hangout spot. The unspoken rule is, if you don’t know what to do, go to Princeton. You repeatedly get overpriced, but delicious bubble tea from Fruity yogurt and it never gets old. Then, you hit Thomas Sweet and maybe head down to Lindt to grab free chocolate samples. End it with a pit stop at Halo Pub for some more ice cream and head on home.

Repeat once a week and you are the average Plainsboro Joe.

The Plainsboro Library

Plainsboro library isn’t just a library. It’s like a second home to some folk. There have always been high school groups that go to this library every day after school like it’s their job. You know who you are. You know these people aren’t even going to study, but just want to hang out with their laptops open.

The old library may literally be across the street from the new one, but it made a world of difference. People actually go. It’s become the unspoken little haven for town and deservedly so. We have half life-size chess pieces and a board at our library, beat that.

Quakerbridge Mall

This is where it’s at. We’re always complaining about how we aren’t Freehold, and yet we go over and over again. I guess we’re hooked. This is another default, like Princeton, that never gets old. Whether you have to get your parents to drive you or drive yourself, you go. It’s a short 15 minutes away and is home to our closest Cheesecake Factory.

Not just any mall is ready to give you the proper cheesecake fix at any given moment. Even if the yogurt place hands down makes some of the worst bubble tea possible, at least there was a clear attempt to give us everything necessary for survival.

Diversity

Discrimination isn’t a reality and we should be proud of ourselves for making it so. It’s always the funniest thing when people who grew up in town try to act hood. Stop trying so hard to be different or what you think you’re supposed to be and just accept the Plainsboro culture — take pride in it. We get the chance to learn about other cultures directly and actually get involved.

We’re all the cool kids.

We’re smart af

Admittedly, we were never well-known for our unstoppable football teams or any sport team for that matter. But Plainsboro has always been known for producing brainiacs. A lot of people will never be able to say they went to a blue ribbon school.

We’re competitive and yes, sometimes it’s painfully stressful, but it pushes us to be successful. Even the people who think they’re stupid here don’t realize how smart they are in comparison to other students their age. Now, with less stress thanks to the board dropping certain exams, we can’t let our schools slip down in ratings. If it wasn’t for our smarts, we’d have to depend on our athletics to shine.

Let’s not try that.

Construction

If you didn’t know what that new construction is near Redberry, there will soon be a Five Guys and Panera. Nuf said. Thank you Plainsboro.

So, despite how much we complain, pretty much anyone born and raised in Plainsboro is living a charmed life. No, we don’t have it all, but what place does? If you really need more excitement, visit the city. It’s only a train ride away. But at the end of the day, Plainsboro is the perfect hometown to come back to. Even some of the people who were once bent on leaving this town forever had a change of heart after leaving for college. It’s a place you learn to appreciate once you don’t have it. Lets give it the love it deserves.