Hillary voters explain why they’re afraid of a Trump presidency

‘He’s called Mexicans racists and Muslims terrorists’

Trump fans are known for claiming Hillary Clinton is a liar, is caught up in an email conspiracy, and deserves to be locked up.

But what do Hillary voters think about Trump? We asked three students who are backing Hillary to tell us about The Donald and why exactly they don’t want to see him elected.

The most awful thing about Trump, they all said, was his lack of compassion for minorities. “He’s made countless bigoted and hateful comments. Every time he opens his mouth it’s rude and disrespectful,” says Hannah Krauss, a sophomore at St Mary’s College. “He’s called Mexicans racists, Muslims terrorists, and said many other things that incite hate and fear.”

Hannah

“I think the worst thing he’s done is completely discriminate against large populations of people, like Mexicans, Muslims, and women,” says Maryland junior Nick Porter.

“It’s hard to pick just one,” adds Maryland senior Katherine Swanson, on what Trump’s worst qualities. “I guess, in general terms, the constant belittling of serious social and racial injustices and the constant racial slurs.”

Unsurprisingly, none of these supporters would vote for Trump, no matter what new moves he makes on the campaign trail. “I would never vote for him,” says Hannah. “I shudder thinking about what his ‘great’ America would be like because it would be one of hate. He is the opposite of what America needs. Even if he apologizes for what he said, which I never see him doing, I will never be able to respect him enough to vote for him.”

Nick agrees, and goes as far as to say that he would be afraid for America if Trump is elected. “No [I would not vote for him.] This man is dangerous in that position of power,” he explains.

Katherine had only a few words to describe her feelings on voting for Trump: “Absolutely not.”

Katherine

Trump supporters often use his business experience as an argument in his favor. Not so for the Hillary crowd: “I don’t think it will help. He doesn’t really have much ‘expertise’. His businesses have failed many times and he’s filed for bankruptcy,” says Katherine.

“The wall is completely unviable and the definition of waste of taxpayer money,” Nick adds, referring to the Mexican wall Trump plans to build.

“The president has to have economic knowledge, yes. So it may help him some,” thinks Hannah. “But it’s the only thing he has. He has no political experience and no tact for dealing with foreign and domestic affairs. He thinks that his business knowledge is all he needs, but there are many other hats the president wears.”

These Clinton supporters believe she has the necessary qualities the president will require.

One of the major reasons they favor Clinton is because of her former experience – especially as Secretary of State under Obama.

“Years of experience with foreign policy, and bureaucratic expertise when making policy and getting those policies passed in congress,” says Nick on what Clinton has that Trump does not. “She has shown she can compromise and is actually quite moderate on most issues which I personally like because I am a moderate. Trump has none of those qualities.”

Nick

Hannah is also pleased with her experience in government and other political positions. “Clinton has more experience and qualifications than Trump. She was First Lady, a senator, and Secretary of State. Her vast experience is what will help her be a great president for our country.”

Katherine Swanson adds that her “compassion” is why she’s voting for Hillary. “Her understanding of the American people that comes from only being able to relate to them in a way Trump can’t.”