Turns out England has a lot in common with the American South

For one, we both love talking about the weather

As I packed my bags to study abroad in England this summer, I expected things to be vastly different than my Southern hometown in Texas.

After being in England for a week, however, I’ve noticed things aren’t so different after all. In fact, there are many similarities between English culture and the culture in the Southern United States.

We both love fried food

Southerners love fried chicken like Bubba Gump loves shrimp. We love fried chicken with toast, fried chicken with BBQ sauce, fried chicken strips, fried chicken nuggets, fried chicken wings, fried chicken and biscuits and even fried chicken and waffles – the list can go on.

The English, on the other hand, love fried fish and French fries (aka fish and chips). They love fried Cod, fried Plaice, fried Dover Sole and fried Haddock. Pretty much any fish, as long as it is fried, of course.

We both have accents

Growing up in Texas, it was common to hear words like “used ta could,” “piddlin,” “fixin’ ta” and “reckon.” Now, in England, I hear words like “posh,” “rubbish,” “bloody” and “mate.” Although Southern accents and English accents are different, they are accents nonetheless, and I feel right at home.

We both love talking about the weather

Let’s face it, the weather in the South is highly unpredictable. Sometimes we are in a drought, other times we have huge floods or even hurricanes.

In England, the weather is also crazy, and I’ve been feeling right at home. Sunshine and 70 degrees in the morning followed by rain and 50 degrees a few hours later. The weather in both parts of the world keeps us on our toes.

We are both extremely polite

They don’t call it Southern hospitality for nothing. Southerners are known for being polite and we’re also raised to say “ma’am” and “sir.” From what I’ve found in England, English people are also very polite and will almost always say “sorry,” “excuse me,” “please” and “thank you.” They are also very patient and form queues (lines) to make sure those who were there first are served first.

We both love tea

In the South, there is nothing as refreshing as drinking a big glass of sweet iced tea. It is a huge part of the Southern tradition. England is not much different. Although their tea is traditionally served hot instead of iced, tea is still a huge part of the English culture. Walk around town at 2pm and the cafes will be lined with people enjoying high tea and scones with friends, much like Southerners enjoy their sweet iced tea and BBQ.