Belmont, NC is the unsung capital of the South

We’ve got it all

Belmont, NC is the quintessential small town. Old buildings, rich with history, line the streets. A bustling train rolls through Main Street often, reminding us of the old textile days. A smiling face greets you every time you enter a restaurant. Kind hellos are exchanged on the streets; and ‘how’s your momma doing?’ is not an uncommon phrase to be heard in the local Bi-Lo. If you’ve grown up here, you know we don’t have much to complain about.

If you’ve never considered calling this place home, let me convince you otherwise.

We started as a mill town, but we’re so much more

13652315_10210363466106012_1790846419_nDuring the late 1800s, textile manufacturing became an important industry for many locations in the South. According to the City of Belmont, our little town followed suit with the rest of the South in 1901 when the Chronicle Mill was established. Because of it’s location – nestled between Gastonia and Charlotte – and it’s access to the railroad, Belmont was the perfect place for the textile industry to flourish.

By the 1930s, over 20 textile mills were located in the area – and mill villages, churches, and stores began to spring up across the city.

Southern hospitality is abundant here

The mill villages created a sense of community among Belmont’s residents; and even though the days of textile manufacturing are behind us, this town still thrives on neighborly love. We believe in Southern hospitality here in our little town of Belmont.

And, you’ll find that your neighbors are your coworkers, friends, church members and local shop owners. Everywhere you go, you’re likely to run into a familiar face. Your high school friends, your dental hygienist, and your hairdresser, to name a few.

What’s more, they all genuinely care about you.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 12.19.34 AM

No matter the season, we like to find ways to bring our community together. During the summer months, every other Friday night, we block off the end of Main Street to celebrate with our Friday Night Live concert series. If live beach music, traditional shag dancing, a cold beer and good friends sound like you, you’ll be very happy here.

In the spring, we hold our annual Garibaldi Festival, where the streets are lined with local vendors, food trucks and carnival games; and family fun is guaranteed.

13672111_10210364008479571_688809379_n

Even on days that lack special events, Belmont is a beautiful place to visit. Whether you’re going for a run in Stowe Park or grabbing a quick cup of Joe before work, you’re sure to be impressed.

And, a true Belmontian knows that the best coffee in the world comes from Caravan. Nothing beats a Vanilla Latte or an Iced White Mocha from this place.

13664640_10210363466426020_1521550792_n

And who doesn’t love a good Southern meal

Like any Southern town, its people tend to enjoy fellowshipping over a good meal. As Belmont has grown over the years, we have welcomed some amazing restaurants into downtown and beyond. Local pubs, like Sammy’s and Glenway, are the perfect lunch spots.

For special occasions and fine dining, Belmont folks head to Old Stone for a steak and more recently, Nellie’s Southern Kitchen for a homecooked meal. And, you can’t forget the fish camps – Twin Tops, I’m looking at you – for the perfect fried flounder and tartar sauce.

13672591_10210364048720577_305216046_n

We also have our fan favorites when it comes to fast food and yummy desserts. Ever been to the Belmont Chick-Fil-A on a Saturday afternoon? Then you know what I mean.

Our most recent addition, Pelican’s SnoBalls, tends to have an endless line on those ninety degree days – but a snowcone this delectable is well worth the wait.

13823376_10210364007159538_623139384_n

Once a Raider, always a Raider

But, one of the greatest examples of our sense of community comes from our ability to rally around our local high school. The school spirit here is unmatched. South Point High School – and more specifically Red Raider Football – brings this community together like no other. The joke has always been, if you want to commit a crime, do it on a Football Friday night.

No one’s going to see you, because the entire town is packed into Lineberger Stadium, decked out in red and black cheering on our boys.

13652692_10210364112122162_216524968_n

Our town celebrates wins and we mourn losses to a vast degree. We know that, being a Red Raider is a privilege not everyone gets to have – especially, those Warriors in the next town over – and we remind them of that every Black Friday. We know that the real Black Friday is not the day after Thanksgiving, but, instead, a typically humid night in September where we lay it all on the field and take no mercy on the East Gaston Warriors.

We love our school. We love our football. And, rightfully so. According to Super Raiders, the official website for South Point High School Football, the program has won 21 Conference Championships since 1971 and the North Carolina 3A State Championship in 1979, 2003 and 2009. And, we know we haven’t seen our last successful season – because, as we shout at every pep rally, “Raiders never die”.

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 11.50.35 PM

If you aren’t convinced, we welcome you to check it out for yourself. You won’t be disappointed by our Southern hospitality and small town charm.

And, hey, maybe you’ll even want to stay a while.