BREAKING: Bernie Sanders delegates are staging a sit-in at the DNC

‘I have to believe there’s a purpose for everything we do and that justice is coming’

unnamed

Bernie Sanders delegates staged a peaceful sit-in in Media Tent B at the Wells Fargo Center tonight after Hillary Clinton received the presidential nomination.

Relations between the Bernie and Hillary delegates have been fractious, as many of the Bernie camp are frustrated their voices haven’t been heard throughout the election cycle thus far, claiming various reasons to stand by their candidate.

“He’s a real candidate; he sincerely wants there to be change. Crooked Hillary took his ideas as her own,” said a Pennsylvania delegate. “It sickened me to hear Elizabeth Warren endorsing her newfound ‘progressive’ attitude.”

Earlier this evening, Vermont passed during the roll call to let Bernie have the last word. He gave the state’s vote, saying: “I move that Hillary Clinton be selected as the nominee of the Democratic party for President of the United States” in acclimation.

An Ohio delegate reported someone in her delegation whispered she was supposed to walk out when Bernie walked out, where she saw a mass gathering outside of the arena. She said it “seemed spontaneous” which is “how revolutions happen.”

Tensions have been high with Bernie supporters since he endorsed Hillary on July 12. He addressed his delegates in a meeting closed to the press yesterday, telling them to remain united as a party. He reminded them they have already made history in the political revolution.

“The grassroots efforts are unprecedented in this age. Make no mistake about it, we have made history,” said Sanders.

Some of his supporters do believe they have already made a change though.

“These ideas Bernie has will eventually pass. It’s been said, it’s out there, and they won’t be back. People just want a more just, fair America,” said a Massachusetts delegate.

Democratic National Convention events continue tonight as planned.