‘All of the makeup I own is easily over $5,500’

Should have spent some of that on burritos

Makeup has taught us how to dig deeper into our pockets just so that we can buy that cute limited edition matte lipstick, or that MAC eyeshadow palette before it is sold out.

Some people are mortified by how much makeup can truly cost. Whether our collections consists of drugstore or high-end, we all know we could probably be spending our money on more important things. Like burritos.

Looking at my makeup bag alone, it is estimated to be around $400. Obviously, my priorities are extremely skewed, but this is coming from someone who also spends a lot of money on burritos.

Unsure of whether or not my spending tendencies were normal, I decided to ask around and see how much other women estimated they spent on theirs.

Caroline McMullen, Florida State University, 18

The most expensive thing in my makeup bag is either my MAC lipstick ($18) or MAC mascara ($22).

I use drugstore eyeliner ($8.99) and a NARS eyeshadow crayon ($5) – occasionally even a concealer crayon ($6).

Total it’s definitely less than $50, but I still have nice products.

Chloe Marie Schulte, Florida State University, 20 

It’s not my entire collection, but my main uses and traveling minis.

This is around $750 to $800 just because of the higher brands and lipsticks. My total collection is embarrassingly too much.

Hayley Gola, University of Connecticut, 21

It’s about $170.79 for the makeup I wear every day, and $370.71 for everything in my bag.

I love makeup, and I have more confidence when I’m wearing makeup, so I don’t mind spending money. Should I spend less money on makeup? Probably. Do I wish it was less expensive? Absolutely. Will I still buy it? Of course.

Lydia Brown, University of York, 20

Mine is worth about $14.95. Plus I have a foundation and a mascara I don’t wear in it.

I just wish I knew how to use it, but I honestly don’t see the difference between brands. My mom has bought me loads of nice stuff before and it’s been cool, but I don’t get the difference.

Lauren-Rae Dodd, 22

I have three that I use on a daily basis. The little white one is just for primer! On further investigation, given I use so much MAC and three different type of mascaras, my face must cost roughly $380 excluding make up brushes.

I wish I could spend less, but I absolutely love putting my face on. I love contouring and having loads of lashes, I do it for me more than anyone else. I do sometimes feel guilty at the end of the month though.

Natalie Probst, University of Maryland, 22

The amount for what I use everyday when I want to look nice is around $450, but I still have much more makeup than that! Like stuff for special occasions and whatnot. So that’s an alarming amount just on its own.

Natalia Buenaventura, University of Virginia, 19

I would say all together this is about $300. Something around those lines.

I think I could definitely be saving that money and putting it towards student loans or emergencies.

Mared Emlyn Parry, Cardiff University, 19

I couldn’t possibly give you a total for everything I own, cause it’s easily over $5,500.

For my essentials and what I’d take for a weekend away I estimate around $860. I am a makeup artist though so it’s sorta justified. I fucking love it.

Whether you could have spent the money on more sensible things or not, we have the freedom to do what we want with our earnings. This is in no way an intervention, but a reminder that we should celebrate this art, and spend what we want.

We don’t give a fuck about what you think. If we feel beautiful and powerful with our smokey eyes and contrasting lip colors, nothing will change that.