We dgaf if you think we ‘wear too much make-up’

You can never have too much of a good thing

To some, makeup is an art and a way to cover imperfections. To others, it is a way to feel confident and empowered. Makeup is a way every individual can express themselves and has the capability to simple enhance your features.

A lot of people think girls wear a lot of makeup. It may be a societal norm, but the degree to which each girl wears makeup is their choice.

I interviewed some lovely ladies to see how exactly they feel about makeup:

Prerna Arora, 19, New Delhi, India

Why do you wear makeup?
A key benefit of using makeup is to lift my mood! There’s just something about the excitement of getting out of bed and opening all those different shades and colors which just puts me in good spirits. I love the feeling of putting on makeup and enhancing my beauty with just a slight transformation. Also, I believe that if I look good and dress well, then that automatically puts me in a good mood and makes me feel good about myself.

Do you feel like you wear a lot of makeup?
No, not at all. The point of putting makeup is to enhance your natural beauty, so you should know what shade of foundation, what type of highlighter or even what shade of blush suits your skin tone. Fortunately, my mother was the one who taught me how to use makeup and I think over time, I have learnt to do a good job in using just the right amount of makeup.

Has anyone else told you that you wear a lot of makeup?
When I had just started using makeup, I looked at actresses and models and I wanted to look just like them. So without any guidance I went and bought heaps of makeup and started applying it without realizing that I had it all wrong. So the first time I was supposed to step out for a party with my makeup on, my mom stopped me and made me remove all of it because I had no idea of how to apply it properly. That was the first and last time someone told me I had too much makeup on my face!

What is your favorite type of makeup?
My favorite thing to use is my highlighter. I have this beautiful highlighter from MAC, and it gets the job done just right. Just adding a little bit on my cheekbones gives an incredible reflection and makes my face look fresh. It adds a glow to my face and enhances the color of the blush I apply. For me, it just ties everything together and gives a nice finished look!

Anisha Pal, 20, Orlando, Florida

Why do you wear makeup?
I wear makeup to generally look less tired. I usually wear it when I’m going out as well.

I think I wear a moderate amount of makeup

Nope! Not that I know of!

What is your favorite type of makeup?
I adore liquid eyeliner

Serena Shah, 17, Fleming Island, FL

Why do you wear makeup?
I wear makeup for two reasons. The first reason is that obviously, like all teenager girls, I have unwanted blemishes on my face that at times I don’t want being seen. I’d rather have people focus on my character and my ideas; not on the unfortunate, untimely blemishes on my face. Also, I wear makeup because I believe that it is empowering. It gives me a sense of readiness for the day and makes me feel like I can tackle whatever is coming at me that day. If you look good, you feel like you can do good.

What is your favorite type of makeup?
My favorite type of makeup would have to be lip makeup. Lip liners and matte sticks are my favorite. I love to experiment with colors!

Jacqueline Suazo, 19, Kearny, New Jersey

Why do you wear makeup?
I wear makeup to feel confident. My skin is terrible and it’s not because of makeup! My skin has become the most clear since I started wearing makeup!

I don’t feel I wear a ton, but I do full-coverage to get out any discoloration.

I’ve had friends tell me I wear too much but lots more people tell me they think it’s natural. Both incredibly confusing but I don’t care.

What is your favorite type of makeup?
I LOVE highlighter! I also love matte liquid lipsticks cause they’re gorgeous.

Georgia Davies, 19, Ludlow

Why do you wear makeup?
I wear make up for me, because I like the way I can make myself look completely different using different products or a different method

It depends on the occasion, I don’t wear much in the day but more for a night out or a party or something – like I’ll probably just wear foundation and mascara in the day but put eyeliner, bronzer, eyeshadow etc. on at night.

Mostly boys but that hardly matters.

What is your favorite type of makeup?
I absolutely love bronzer and my favorite product at the moment is the MAC bronzer in Melon.

Alexis Morillo, 19, Flemington, New Jersey

Why do you wear makeup?
I wear makeup mostly because I just find it fun! I don’t mind going out in public without makeup but I just have fun forming new looks with makeup.

I think on a daily basis I wear only a little bit, but if it’s a special occasion or I’m bored I’ll wear more! I don’t do fake lashes or a crazy contour though.

No one has told me I wear “too much” makeup. I wear pretty basic clothing so the makeup is what I would say makes my look come together. I haven’t gotten any negative response for wearing makeup.

What is your favorite type of makeup?
My favorite type of makeup is lipstick!! I think it can change a whole aesthetic and I like doing crazy colors sometimes! Besides Mac (because they’re pricey) I love lip products by Milani, NYX, and Maybelline because they’re great quality and affordable.

Gail Vivar, 19, Kearny, New Jersey

Why do you wear makeup?
I wear makeup because it’s something I love to do in the morning as I’m relaxing and listening to my favorite songs. It’s my time so let me just apply my winged eyeliner in peace!

I don’t feel like I wear a lot of makeup. I usually only use eye makeup or some concealer. If it’s during the summer, I wear less eyeliner and mascara! 

One time someone told me that I wore too much bronzer for Prom. I just laughed it off cause I felt fabulous. I’ve always heard girls calling out other girls for wearing too much makeup, which frustrates me. We’re the ones who bring each other down sometimes

What is your favorite type of makeup?
My favorite type of makeup is liquid eyeliner and mascara!! Maybelline and wet n wild are my favorites.

Personally, I adore makeup. I wear a decent amount on the norm, but I try to enhance my features. I have been called out for wearing too much makeup many times, but I just ignored it. My favorite is eyeliner, for sure!

Makeup gives all girls a way to represent themselves outside of the typical female stereotypes. It is an empowering, fills every girl up with confidence and an art form for everyone.