The Pokémon Go inspired health regime you’ve been waiting for

Get fit so you can actually ‘catch ’em all’

Whether you’ve joined the Pokémon Go bandwagon or not, you can’t ignore the internet explosion that’s happened since the app was released.

More and more fans are claiming, ‘It’s the new leg day’ – and they may be right. Running around everywhere looking for Pikachu is not for the faint hearted.

Getting in shape with Pokémon Go

In order to find Pokémon, you have to actually move around, – so get your tennis shoes on and walk, run or bike around your neighborhood.

There are usually gyms and Pokéstops (where you can battle other Pokémon and find useful items) in and around parks which help make for a beautiful walk or run.

The Pokéstops usually refresh and can be used again after about 5 minutes so if you make a loop made up of Pokéstops, they will likely be ready for use again by the time you make it back to where you began.

Pokémon Go keeps track of how far you’ve gone through the “Jogger” badge where you get XP for how far you’ve gone in kilometers (1 mile = 1.6 km). In addition, you can hatch eggs you’ve found at Pokéstops by going distances of 2, 5 and 10 km.

The further the distance, the better the Pokémon!

Pokémon catching only gets better with a healthy body

Although exercise is crucial to any health plan, it’s not the only thing you need to become healthy. What you put in your body is just as important, if not more.

Here are a few basic health tips that are inspired by the 3 Pokemon you can choose from when you become a trainer: Bulbasaur = greens, Squirtle = water, Charmander = spicy food and spices.

Eat lots of leafy greens like Bulbasaur

You’ve heard it you’re whole life but that’s because it’s so important. The list of benefits from eating leafy greens is endless and the ways you can eat them is also inexhaustible.

Remember Squirtle and drink lots of water

According to some studies, the average American only drinks about 4 cups of water per day. Although it’s debated how much is the magic number, four cups only reaches about half of what we need by many estimates. So bring a reusable bottle of water with you where ever you go to keep you hydrated while you catch Pokémon.

According to Charmander, eating spicy food has been linked to weight loss and improved circulation

If you can’t handle anything remotely spicy, turmeric has been shown to have incredible health benefits.

Poison attacks are effective so, don’t poison yourself

Poison Pokémon are consistently powerful against many types of Pokémon and are considered by some to be one of the best defensive attacks. Use this as a reminder that your body is weak against poisons, too. Almost any effective health plan asks people to avoid processed foods and alcohol as much as possible to stay healthy.

It doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy a glass of wine with your friends but make sure your drinking is in moderation. Not only is alcohol hard on the body, but it is highly caloric, too.

Channel your inner Machamp and hit the gym

The real gym, not just a Pokemon gym. Fighting type Pokémon have powerful attacks. If you want to have a self-evolution from a Machop all the way to a Machamp, work on building muscle. Weightlifting isn’t just for body builders and Machamps.

It is important for everyone.

Building muscle helps increase heart health, gives you better balance, prevents back pain and gives you overall healthier body movements. Maybe if you wear your Pokémon gear to the gym you can find some fellow Pokémon Go enthusiasts to run and find Pokémon with.

If nothing else, remember that getting healthy can be fun

It can be a struggle for anyone to take their first step out the door. However, if you don’t you won’t be able to “catch ’em all”. Whether you use it for hours everyday or just here and there, increasing your exercise is key to having a healthy body.

Grab a friend or your pup and enjoy what your city has to offer.