The best and worst parts of interning in New York City

‘I learned how to hail a cab, which is dope’

Ever wonder what it’s like interning in a big city?

I spoke with four different college students who are currently interning in NYC and asked them to share some of what they’ve learned from their experiences.

I also asked them how the transition and adjustment to the area has been for them, and they all had very useful things to say.

TJ Hannigan – UMass Amherst

TJ is a Business Development intern at Carats and Cake, a social network for high-end wedding vendors.

“I’d say my worst experience was my first full day here. This guy handed me his mix tape CD, which I took before thinking. Before I knew it, I had three CD’s and was basically hustled out $35. It taught me really quickly that nothing in NY is free. That aside, after being here for a few weeks, I am much more confident that I want to live here.

“Throughout the process of me coming here, it seemed like there was a lot of warning from the general public. It’s just a lot of people telling you how hard, competitive, and expensive it is. It does have a lot of challenges, but so do most big decisions. NYC has a lot of opportunities and the chance to learn and grow. It’s not as scary as people make it seem.”

Jamie Shum – Ithaca College

Jamie has to commute from her suburb home in Wappinger Falls, NY to NYC by the Metro-North railroad. She is currently interning at two locations: VH1 at Viacom as a Multi-Platform Programming and Production Intern and the Rubin Museum of Art as a Public Relations and Marketing Intern.

Skyline view from her Viacom office

“Spending the workday in the city is quite different from where I live in the suburbs. The former being a much busier and much more fast-paced environment and the center of all things performing arts and entertainment related.”

Jamie Shum at The Nightly Show event

“I always enjoy discovering what’s going on in NYC and attending exciting events; from free performances and admission to museums, to star-studded concerts, you name it!

“Commuting for me takes between 1 ½ to 2 hours each way, which is a big time commitment. I’ve had problems getting a good amount of sleep each night, as I wake up at 6 am every morning. Although this is something I dislike, I’ve grown much more respect for people who have to do this every day as part of their professional lives.”

Shakirah Ray – Ithaca College 

Shakirah is an intern at the weekend TODAY show and told me she was more excited than nervous to make the move.

Shakiray at NBC Universal

“A few weeks before I  moved into my NYC college dorm, I started following Instagram accounts of NYC food. I also started searching for popular restaurants and made a list of all of the restaurants I wanted to visit while I was there.

“I love exploring the Chelsea area, especially the High Line. I try not to reflect on the few bad experiences I’ve had in NYC, but the one that was the worst ever was when I was stuck on the 5 train for an hour and a half, making me very, very late to work.”

Shakirah exploring NYC

Alyssa Jorgensen – Dartmouth University

Funny enough, Alyssa is currently interning with The Tab as a Reporter. Unlike the other interns, Jorgensen is interning in Brooklyn and says this is her first time being there for so long.

Alyssa Jorgensen celebrated National Fried Chicken Day in NYC

“Every borough is different and unique in its own way. In general though, the food here is amazing because there are people from all over the world who have brought their cuisines.

“However, I’m still searching for Tex-Mex that can live up to home. The commute is very simple – 4 stops on a subway – which has been a lifesaver because I hate the subway.

“The people in Brooklyn are way too trendy for me. Socially, there are so many great bars and clubs around here. The only problem I’ve faced is that NYC is a large place that has a tendency to make you feel very small and insignificant in a sea of people.”

Through the good and bad of NYC, these interns have learned to take the chances and be open to trying new things. Alyssa said she even learned how to hail a cab, which is “dope.” Can’t get much better than that.