‘I quit college to be a fashion model’

Jason Derulo, Paris Hilton and Lilly Ghalichi have seen her on the runway

Laura Campbell first attended Delaware Valley College in Bucks County, Pennsylvania with full intentions of graduating with a Bachelor’s degree in Wildlife Conservation and Management. Although, by the end of her freshman year, she was booking gigs with modeling agencies like Wilhemina. On top of all that, she’s also been a server and bartender at Hooters for years.

How did your modeling career get started?

I’ve always wanted to model it really is a an art and a lot of people don’t see that part of it. I was scouted a couple times when I was younger, but my parents were against it, they wanted me to focus on school. After I graduated high school and went on to college I submitted to an agency and got a call back! I actually cried in the middle of campus… later that week I received my contract.

Can you explain to me the processes and emotions you went through for your first gig?

I was booked straight off the website and I cried I was so excited. I never met the client and they never saw my walk, it was just strictly off my portfolio. It was a runway show for a Philadelphia designer named Victoria Wright and it was held by Macy’s at their downtown Philadelphia location. I was so scared the whole time and shook the whole way down the runway, it’s a whole different thing when there is an audience.  I probably would have been shaking at the casting too so I was extremely happy they didn’t have one! My first couple months of modeling I cried every time I booked a job I was so over the moon with excitement.

Walter Mendez and Laura after his FW16 New York Fashion Week show

I know that you were in New York Fashion Week, tell me about that.

Some of the coolest things always happen at New York Fashion Week. I’ve been modeling for two years and have walked in NYFW both years. It’s still a little hard for me to believe. I’ve spotted celebrities in the audience watching me walk like Jason Derulo, Lilly Ghalichi and Paris Hilton. The week is insane, the castings are only a week before. You usually don’t know if you booked a show until the day before. Then the day before, you have a fitting. Every day you wake up early and just wait for your agent to call you and tell you what you are doing that day. It’s really stressful and hectic, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

What have been some of your most exciting modeling experiences you’ve had so far?

Walking for bigger names that everyone has herd of is really exciting. When people who are not in the industry or not into fashion ask who I have worked for I used to get really frustrated when they didn’t know who those designers were. People always expect big names. The most exciting names that I have worked for are Saks Fifth Avenue, Walter Mendez and Nicole Miller.

Where has your modeling career taken you?

I haven’t gone anywhere too crazy yet. I’m so lucky to only be a couple hours from one of the most competitive cities in the world for modeling, New York City. A lot of models I’ve met have left their friends and families all over the world to go there. I’m lucky enough I’m only a train ride alway.

Who or what has been the driving force that’s gotten you as far as you have?

My driving force has always been that I hear so many people talk about their dreams, but go for something “more realistic” and it breaks my heart.  I never want to regret not doing something I’ve always wanted to. This is a carrier that has a short window. This is the only time in my life where I will probably just have me, myself, and I to make happy, so I’m taking all the risk now.

Is the atmosphere as cutthroat as the media and movies portray it to be? 

Sometimes! It depends on the client, you never know when walking into a casting who or what will be behind that door. Sometimes they rip you, your portfolio, and your walk apart. Sometimes they don’t say much, and sometimes they act like your long lost friend. They can be really harsh to see if you can handle what’s thrown at you.

You’re a Hooter’s girl – what’s that like?

Hooters has been very supportive with my modeling career! If I need a month off, if I want to work nonstop, or if I need to leave work asap for a last minute casting or fitting they do everything they can to help me. I’ve been there for so many years and am so grateful with how helpful they are. We all do more then just serve and bartend; we do a lot of promo events, and even help with different charities certain times of year, like Alex’s Lemonade Stand and The Kelly Jo Dowd Fund. It’s a really fun and laid back work environment.

Do you regret dropping out of school?

I never regretted it but sometimes I feel like I’m missing out on something because a lot of my friends are graduated or graduating. I know school will always be there and I think about going back once modeling slows down occasionally. It’s hard to focus on one career while studying for another. I did it for one semester and it was not for me.

Where do you see yourself in the next couple years?

I wish I knew! I will most likely be back at school. Modeling has allowed me to meet so many interesting people every once and a while I meet someone who’s life and wisdom really get my mind going. There are so many things that interest me it’s hard to pick one path! I was in school for wildlife conversation, which is so different from the fashion world. I constantly think about going back to that, or if I should switch to fashion merchandising. Then again I have been coaching and assisting in the development of new models at my agency for a year now, and never thought I would like teaching or even be good at it. So that has definitely made me interested in possibly being an agent/booker myself.