I asked college girls which birth control is the best

‘I would only recommend the patch to girls who don’t play sports’

As girls, society and science have made it our responsibility to prevent pregnancy.

Birth control has been around for thousands of years, and has taken both backlash and support socially and in the media. However, it is nothing to be ashamed of or to hide.

There are so many different forms of birth control, and it can be hard to decide what works best for you. Planned Parenthood has a comprehensive list of methods, and looking at it is pretty daunting.

My friends and I recently had a conversation about our own forms of birth control, which can be a controversial topic. We realized that we each have had a very different journey, and I learned a lot by talking to them.

This got me thinking, is my current birth control best for me? So I talked to my doctor and have found that ‘the pill’ works best with my body and my lifestyle.

In case you are wondering about different types of birth control yourself, here is what a few single girls with healthy sex lives told me about their own experiences.

Samantha – 23 years old 

IUD (Intrauterine Device)

IUDs are small, “T-shaped” devices made of flexible plastic. They can last anywhere from 3-12 years depending on the type you get. An IUD is implanted in a short, in-office procedure and requires no maintenance other than your regular yearly checkup with your doctor.

Sam talked about her experience recently getting an IUD:

“I had been on the pill since I was 15. I got my IUD in February because I kept breaking through my pill and had tried several kinds. I tried the Nuva Ring but didn’t like that your partner could feel it during sex and it would occasionally fall out when exercising. I also travel every weekend for work and would always forget to take my pill or the times would be very inconsistent.

“I’m not going to lie and say it was easy to have it inserted because that was the most painful part! For a couple weeks after I had a lot of cramping associated with it and especially if I worked out hard. I barley get my period now but I PMS worse than I did when I was on the pill. My only other complaint is that my acne came back, but I’ve started seeing a dermatologist for that so it is better!

“I would absolutely recommend it to other girls because it is much more successful for people who aren’t consistent with taking a pill every day!”

Sarah – 21 years old 

The Patch 

The birth control patch is a thin, beige, plastic patch that sticks to the skin. A new patch is placed on the skin once a week for three weeks in a row, followed by a patch-free week.

Sarah talked about her experience getting used to the patch:

“I used the patch for about 6 months; it was my first time using birth control and I’ve since switched to the pill because while the patch was low-maintenance, the large dose of hormones at the beginning of each month made me so sick I couldn’t go to class, and it irritated the skin underneath a lot.

“Overall it’s more convenient than the pill because it’s something you only need to do once a week, but I would only recommend it for girls who don’t play sports as I was always concerned with it falling off during practice when I was exercising every day and sweating.”

Kelly – 22 years old 

(Male) Condoms 

Condoms provide great protection from both pregnancy and STDs. They are one of the few forms of birth control that actively involves a male partner. They’re also easy to use and easy to get.

Kelly talked about her experiences with condoms:

“In high school I had a serious boyfriend who I trusted and was not on any hormonal form of birth control. We relied strictly on condoms. For the most part it was problem free, however there were a few instances were they broke or slipped off and I ended up taking Plan-B (the morning after pill).

“It wasn’t until I lost a lot of weight and my period cycle was messed up that I went on the pill which I have been on ever since. I’m single now and I still use condoms almost every time because I like the security of a second form and the protection agains any undetected STDs a partner might have that I might not know about. I would recommend that all girls use condoms at least as a second form – it’s safe and keeps things clean.”

Molly – 20 years old 

The Pill

Birth control pills are a kind of medication that women can take daily to prevent pregnancy. The hormones in the pill keep eggs from leaving the ovaries. Pregnancy cannot happen if there is no egg to join with sperm. The Pill is most effective when it is taken at the same exact time each day. You take placebo pills during the week you get your period.

Molly talked about her experience being on the pill:

“I’ve been on birth control for three years and have switched the brand twice since starting due to insurance coverage. All three have been good, but Lo Loestrin was definitely my favorite, just because I never got my period on it or had cramps. The one I am on now is good – I get my period every few months. It is nice to have a few free passes, but I get cramps more often which is why I really started to use it.

“The only side effects I have are when I forget to take it. Then I either get cramps or my period which is never a fun surprise as any girl knows. I would definitely recommend using the pill to other girls as long as you can take it the same time every day.”

It is best to consult your gynecologist before making any decisions about birth control, and most forms will require a prescription.