Which of these sexy old white guys will be Trump’s running mate?

Republican VP list narrows as convention nears

Republican presumptive nominee Donald Trump told sources Tuesday that he has narrowed his list of potential running mates to three main choices. 

His top three picks are: former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, Gov. Mike Pence of Indiana, and Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey.

Although he hasn’t gotten as much attention, Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama is still considered a possible choice.

According to The Wall Street Journal, the business mogul wants an “attack dog” as his VP nominee.  He wants someone who is an experienced government leader that he can work with for the next four or eight years.

“For me, the most important thing is chemistry,” Trump said in an interview last week.  “I think Barack Obama has good chemistry with Joe Biden.  I’m not a fan of Barack Obama, but he picked a person he has chemistry with and that’s a good thing.”

Gingrich and Christie clearly fit his criteria for Vice President.  They both have years of political experience and don’t hold back when dishing out criticism.

Christie was one of the first to endorse Trump after the presumptive nominee started to pull ahead earlier this year.

“I will lend my support between now and November in any way for Donald,” he told CNN this past February.  “I can guarantee you that the person Hillary and Bill Clinton do not want to see on that stage is Donald Trump.”

Mike Pence is a rising star in the Republican Party, and has been one of Trump’s most loyal supporters since May.  He has come to prominence over the past few years with his staunch conservative stances, most notably signing one of the tightest abortion laws in the country.

All three choices are popular among conservatives, which may be what the GOP nominee needs to win this election.  He’s already got the moderate, business-loving Republicans.  If he can secure the evangelical right, he’s a serious contender for the presidency.

Let’s take a closer look at his four choices.

Newt Gingrich

Gingrich is one of the most experienced and respected leaders in Washington.  Choosing him as the GOP running mate would be a huge asset to the Trump campaign, especially on the debate stage.  However, the former Speaker has more than a few skeletons in his closet.  He’s on his third wife, and left his first two when they were diagnosed with cancer and MS respectively.  It’s always impossible to leave your personal life out of politics in an election, and while he’s respected among his peers, voters wouldn’t take kindly when digging into Gingrich’s past.

Chris Christie

It’s no surprise Christie is on this list.  He’s been a huge Trump supporter since his endorsement and is known for using the same angry rhetoric as the presumptive nominee.  But policy and speaking aside, he brings a few problems to the table.  He’s not the most popular guy in New Jersey; the economy hasn’t exactly been the best during his time as Governor.  His weight is also an issue.  Appearance does matter in elections, and voters will think twice before choosing someone who needs to hit the gym more.

Mike Pence

Although not as well known on the national level, Pence is a safer bet in terms of bringing the Republican base together.  He’s an outspoken evangelist and has governed in accordance with his faith.  That’s the thing though, no Democrat is going to want a hardcore Bible-thumper as Vice President.  While he may be a good choice for securing the GOP vote, it’s a huge risk in getting moderate and liberal voters.

Jeff Sessions

Not one of the top three, but you never know.  He’s probably the least known out of Trump’s choices, but that could be a good thing.  Like Pence, he is a safe choice when it comes to the far-right.  Then again, he’s considered one of the most conservative politicians in Washington – might not be the best choice in an election this tight.