What it’s really like working for Mary Kay

Free cars, jewelry, clothes and trips – is it too good to be true?

Making money is a main priority for most college kids. We are at a time in our lives where we have a lot of things to pay for. And on top of that we have to start saving for our future as we become more and more independent.

Finding a job that works well with school work and a busy social life can be very tough. It’s hard to find something that allows you to manage everything without any stress.

But what if I were to tell you that there is something you can do on your own time and make a living out of. 19-year-old Shania Thorpe has firsthand experience of this situation.

About a year and a half ago Shania became an Independent Mary Kay Consultant, which allows her to work when she wants and however she wants. She is part of a hip hop ministry team called D-trex, which practices for over four hours most days and performs every weekend. She is also doing a work study at the front desk of her school and is part of a PR firm, taking up most of her time. So, Mary Kay has been a blessing for her.

Mary Kay is a company that has given women of all ages a job they can making a living off of. Some use it as a main job while others do it on the side. Either way, there are tons of women out there that are a part of the company and couldn’t be happier, Shania being one of them.

A lot of people think that it’s all a scam, but Shania has had so much success with the company, even earning herself a free car, proving to everyone that it is definitely not a scam. So I sat down with her to find out more about her story and how Mary Kay has changed her life.

How did you hear about Mary Kay?

I had heard about Mary Kay before. My mom used to use the products and I used their eye makeup remover, but I never really knew about the company in whole. During my freshman year of college, the girlfriend of the captain of my dance team invited us to a free facial and that is where I learned more about the company and fell in love with their products.

What made you want to be a part of the company?

Originally since I loved the products I thought being able to use the 50% consultant discount would be nice. And I could really use the income to help pay for college and help my mom with bills. They also have a free car program and  I really needed a new car at the time so I thought what could I lose for just trying it out.

How long has it been since you became an independent consultant for Mary Kay?

It has only been about a year and a half.

Did you have any other jobs at the time?

I did not because I just moved to college in a whole new state so I had to find a new job at school. I later did get a work-study job, but most of the money goes to my tuition so I barely see money from that job.

Was there one specific thing that you needed to earn money for?

I wanted to help my mom pay for school and bills. She is a single mom and has given me everything and I knew this would help me help her.

IMG_7833-1

How has Mary Kay affected your life?

Mary Kay has literally changed my life in ways I don’t even know where to begin. I would not be the person I am today and I couldn’t imagine my life without Mary Kay. Mary Kay is a Christian company and they really do abide by that. The woman I have met, the opportunities I have been able to experience at the age of 19 has really blown my mind!

What has running your own business taught you?

It has taught me how to be more independent, as well as being more financially stable at such a young age. I learned how to become a better people person. It has made me more confident and a stronger woman in general.

How has Mary Kay helped you become more confident?

It has made me more confident in different ways. But my most favorite way it has made me more confident is in my appearance, the skin care is absolutely amazing and life changing. I have tried everything to help my skin. I had a very oily T-zone, a forehead with lots of blemishes, breakouts and acne, as well as a nose with a lot of white and black heads and huge pores. My skin is completely clear! I tried every single skin care product and this is the only one that worked in such a short period of time!

How do you manage your time with everything else at school?

I manage doing all those things with Mary Kay because with Mary Kay I make my own schedule and so I make sure what needs to be a priority stays a priority. So Mary Kay sometimes is my fourth or fifth priority in my life and that is what makes this job even more crazy because I am now a Director with the company which means I am a part of the top 1% of the company and it isn’t even my top priority at school.

How many hours a week do you spend working usually?

During school I cannot work as much so I would say no more than 6-8 hours a week, but that was not consistent either because some weeks I was too busy to do Mary Kay at all.

What is your favorite aspect about Mary Kay?

My favorite aspect is that it is not a competitive business so everyone wants to see everyone succeed. So there is always someone you can turn to for help, even the company. They love to see everyone succeed and will give you all the tools you need to do so.

What rewards have your earned so far?

I have gotten a FREE CAR!!! Its insane, I got a brand new 2016 Chevy Cruze, and that is the first of four free cars I will get. They also pay for 85% of my insurance and they paid for my titles, tags and registration, which is an absolute blessing. I have also earned a Beverley Hills luggage set, a ton of jewelry, expensive purses and tickets to events in Texas. They love to shower you with rewards and gifts.

What advice do you have for someone who thinks they are too shy to become a consultant?

You never tried so how would you know? I have met very shy girls and girls who have said the same thing and they are doing amazing. Mary Kay can help you with whatever is stoping you, so if it is being shy you will gain confidence by doing it. But you can make as many excuses you want to not do this and not make good money and make your dreams come true and watch us as we make our dreams come true. OR you can give it a shot and make your dreams come true while making great money, especially for college students.

FullSizeRender-2

What do you have to say for those who think Mary Kay is all a scam?

I thought it was too! But then I saw real life people actually going far with this so I tried it. Mary Kay is so helpful and reliable; they have been around for 53 years and have changed people’s lives. They would not be around for this long and give away so many cars and money if it was a scam.

I personally experienced it and I can promise my life it is not a scam, it can change lives and if you want to change your life and have your dreams come true then take a chance on yourself because I would take a chance on you, I believe in you.