Why #LeanInTogether sends a powerful message to women

‘We are all on the same team’

Lean In, founded by Sheryl Sandberg, is a movement and community for women to come together and empower one another to achieve each other’s goals. It’s described by Sheryl Sandberg as “a global community dedicated to encouraging women to lean in to their ambitions.” It’s a way for women to speak up about discrimination within the workplace and society and offers ways in which women can overcome these obstacles to ensure success for their futures.

Lean In founder, Sheryl Sandberg

A large aspect of this community is communication, especially through the use of circles and education. Lean In believes that in order for women to overcome the challenges brought up in society, women need to speak up about them. It offers women the opportunity to come together in circles and speak more intimately about issues facing women today. The goal of these circles is to allow women to speak in an environment that is both comfortable and supportive. Through these circles, women are able to feel inspired to make a difference but also feel empowered to be a successful woman.

Lean In has also sparked the hashtag #LeanInTogether, which celebrates the act of women supporting each other. The touching video for #LeanInTogether features a handful of female celebrities such as Selena Gomez, Emma Watson, Kerry Washington, and more thanking women in their lives for the impact they have made on their careers as well as personal lives.

What’s really striking about the video is how these women acknowledge the ways in which women can make a difference if they stick together and support each other. They mention that when women stick together, they’re “braver,” “bolder,” “invincible,” and more. These powerful terms truly speak to the nature that society may often portray women as. Women may be looked upon as weak and fragile, yet when they come together, they are so much more than that. Women are able to become more powerful and make a larger impact when they lean in and help one another.

So, why does #LeanInTogether create an immensely powerful message for women and why is it so important?

Even though there has been a progression in the way women are looked upon in society over the years, there’s still so much more that can be done. However, in order to achieve a society in which the success of a woman is celebrated and not frowned upon, it’s up to women to stick together. It’s up to women to acknowledge the ambitions and the goals of each other and to help lift each other up when no one else is there to do so.

Serena Williams notes in the video, “We are all on the same team.” This is a key aspect into what Lean In as a community means. Women must be on the same team in order to overcome the obstacles brought out by society. If women can stick together and empower one another, so many things can be accomplished. Plus, it’s comforting to know that all women would have the support of each other and no woman would ever be truly alone when faced with dilemmas of the workplace and everyday life.

But most importantly, #LeanInTogether reminds us to take the time to truly thank the women in our lives for the personal impact they have made. No person can truly say that there hasn’t been one woman in his or her life that hasn’t supported them through thick and thin. #LeanInTogether gives everyone, both women and even men, the opportunity to reflect on the important women in our lives, whether it’s a coworker, a friend, a family member, that have been supportive, a huge inspiration, or the spark to cause change as an individual and as a community.

In thanking the important women of our lives, we ultimately acknowledge the change that one woman is able to make. If one woman can make a change in an individual’s life, then imagine what change a group of women can do, which is what #LeanInTogether really pushes individuals to think about. To quote Sheryl Sandberg, “When women lean in together, we accomplish amazing things.”

To support and get involved in Lean In’s message, follow their Facebook and Twitter.