‘People aren’t used to seeing female pilots’

What it’s like being a commercial pilot in a field dominated by men

Stephanie Leistritz flew her first plane at 17. It was a birthday present from her mom who bought her an hour long flight that would change her life.

She had no idea what kind of impact that special present would make on her daughter. From then on, Stephanie has literally flown over barriers to become a commercial pilot.

What kind of process is it to become a commercial pilot?

To start, you need to read speak and understand English. You only need to be 16 to get your private pilot [license]. After you finish that you can work on your commercial. You can go through training at a local FBO, like Bergstrum, or a college like the University of North Dakota, like I did.

Most airlines require a degree of some kind. It doesn’t have to be in aviation if you don’t want. My degree is in Professional aeronautics with a minor in Aviation Safety. The amount of time it takes depends on how you want to get it. To get hired by a regional, you need your ATP (airline transportation Pilot license). That required 1500 hrs. This process will take a couple years from start to finish.

What was flight school like? Were there many other women in the program?

I was the only girl in the class past private pilot. I love[d] it. Guys are really chill.

Wow! What was the next step for you between flight school and becoming a pilot?

I flight instructed for 3 years. Longer than I needed to, but I loved it.

Did you send any of your students on surprise solo flights?

My students always knew it was coming. My flight school didn’t allow us to jump out of the plane like what was done to me. But I always enjoyed sending my little birds off to fly.

Are there any particular challenges you face as a female pilot? 

I am called a flight attendant at least once a month. It used to bother me. I worked real hard for my 3 strips and the title of first officer but I do understand this is a male field.

People aren’t used to seeing female pilots.

What advice would you give to young women who are interested in becoming a pilot?

My advice to young women is to follow your dreams. Even if it is in a mostly male field. You should do what makes you happy. When I was in high school and brought up being a pilot people cheered me on but didn’t believe I would. But I cheered myself through it. And I love my job.

Don’t let money be a problem. They are plenty of scholarships for females who want to be pilots.

Can you tell me a little bit about the airline you currently work for and your position?

I work for a regional airline named GoJet Airlines. We operate CRJ 700 and 900s for United Express and Delta Connection. I’m a First Officer. I sit in the right seat in the cockpit.

Cool! How many destinations do you currently fly to?

I am based (where I start and end my trips) in DIA (Denver International Airport). This month I’ll be flying to 15 different airports. [For example], on the 5th, I went from Durango to Denver to Knoxville to Denver.

What is the best part of your job?

I have the best office seat in the world. [Also], going to places I would normally never go to, such as Durango CO, Missoula MT, and Rapid city SD. Even New York City and Dallas. The second best part is free travel within the US. I can jump on any US carrier and go to any US territory or state for free as long as they have open seats! I go to Kona, HI to visit one of my best friends from high-school all the time.

What’s your favorite destination?

That’s really hard to say. I love going to small towns. I’m really big into supporting the local economy. So I like going to a spot that has locally made goods. Durango tops my list, but I love Missoula and Rapid City. Dayton has the biggest aviation museum in the US so if I can I try to go there.

It sounds like an amazing job. Is there a catch?

Always a catch. If you are junior you might end up with an awful schedule. You’ll usually miss all holidays your first year on the job as a First Officer. When you first start, you are going to be on reserve which is like being on call for a job. On reserve can be a major adjustment. Think about sitting at the airport all day. It’s not fun. You catch up on a ton of reading though.

Yikes! How long is a pilot on reserve until they move up and have more flexibility in their schedule?

It depends on the size of the airline. Everyone needs pilots right now, so it’s short lived. I was only on reserve for 6 months.

So it sounds like there’s a higher demand for pilots right now. Is this a good time for aspiring pilots to start their education and get into the field?

Of course. People need to jump into the field now!

Ladies: the time is now! Bon voyage!