I tried the nation’s best Key lime pie, voted by the American Pie Council

Did you know there was an American Pie council?

Living in South Florida, I have had my fair share of Key lime pie. There is always a homemade pie at every holiday dinner. Leftover pie is the best Christmas morning breakfast.

So, when I found out Sunset Grill in Clearwater, Florida, was awarded the title of “best Key lime pie in the nation” by the American Pie Council, I had to try it out.

Sunset Grill is a quaint restaurant with a full menu of delicious pies and meals. The inside of the restaurant has a beachy vibe and is decorated with Pinterest-worthy driftwood mirrors and wooden planks saying things like, “take me to the beach.”

The perimeter of the Grill is lined with vintage coffee mugs. However, I did not come for the cute decor or the friendly service. I came for the legendary, “National Pie Champion Winner” Key lime pie.

Their Key lime is served with gorgeous plating. The lime flavored gel on the plate looked fantastic. Also, the pie had the perfect amount of whipped cream on top. The filling was a perfectly pale yellow because all Floridians know Key lime pie isn’t green.

The first bite was heaven. The graham cracker crust had the right amount of crunch and was probably my favorite part of the pie. The filling was thicker than most Key lime pies I have tried and had almost a cheesecake consistency that was fantastic.

A lot of Key lime pies I have eaten have had a custard consistency, so this thicker recipe was definitely a surprise. I was so happy with the balance between the tangy and sweet flavors, and I savored every bite.

I was beyond impressed and I can’t wait to go back to Sunset Grill. I regret not buying an extra slice to bring home, but that just gives me an excuse to go back to Clearwater. If you are in the Clearwater or Tampa area, check this place out if you want a tasty, authentic Key lime pie.

You can’t get the full Florida experience without a slice.