You don’t always need a #squad, boyfriend, or wingman

I’ve recently discovered the beauty of the lone wolf life

I love people and people love me. Ever since I can remember, I’ve been known as the ‘crowd pleaser.’ Creating conversations at the table, inviting others to the party, and initiating activities in the group text.

I never run out of energy. I often get the “she’s just high on life!” which I am – always, constantly, 24/7 doing something, with someone.

From swim clubs and high school cliques, to college sorority, there is no denying that I am a people-person. I truly enjoy the company of others.

But recently, I’ve realized I depend on others to live life. I only do things if I can bring a plus-one, which honestly, doesn’t make sense. I decided it was time to make a change in my life, and took on the new role of ‘lone wolf.’

At age 22, I discovered the beauty of doing things completely solo. It’s refreshing, it’s rewarding, and most of all, it’s empowering.

I’ve learned the value of being confident and using my people skills to create a name for myself. I don’t have to depend on others, and if there is anyone to blame when things go wrong, it is myself.

I am absolutely in love with my new ‘solo life.’

I can enjoy a cocktail after work by myself, or catch a soccer game at the pub without anyone asking me questions about it. I ride my bike down to the beach, and have coffee dates with my favorite novels.

This all does of course come with its downfalls. I am almost always asked, “are you waiting for someone?,” or, “Is this a party for two?”

And of course there are usually a few pick up lines thrown in there, as if I’m looking for some gold-digger or something.

Why is it that this innately social society is always so quick to assume my motives? Are humans truly that self-conscious and afraid of being alone? Why must we be constantly surrounded by a crowd? Why can’t a blonde girl just enjoy being alone?

As much as I love people, Solitude has become extremely important to me. It gives me time to mediate, think, and pray.

The lone wolf in me has started to grow, and I’ve recently gone on a solo-backpacking trip in Thailand.

Don’t believe me? Check out my GoPro Video.

I have become comfortable with going out of my comfort zone. I start conversations with strangers, tap into my instincts, and have discovered that I am not the only one who enjoys this lone wolf life.

It is as if life has started over. This new-found confidence has opened a whole new chapter in my life – one of curiosity and adventure. I’ve learned to appreciate the simplicity of being genuine, and how it will attract the best of people.

Don’t get me wrong. I will still always be the loudest one in the room – the funniest one, and the wildest one – but now, with a twist. An extrovert doing things solo.

Try it, you wont be disappointed. I can guarantee you will have some of your liveliest encounters yet, making your once dependent life, entirely independent.