Your anti-acne products may be giving you painful sunburns

Benzoyl Peroxide is found in most skincare medicines and products

We all have the occasional pimple or acne breakout (especially before that time of the month – but I digress). Freaking out, we head to the nearest drug store to pick up some cream or face wash, ask our doctors for medicine, or even order that so-called magical acne treatment we see on TV (*cough cough* Proactiv).

Although these skincare products do work (to some extent), they also have some negative side effects. Many of these treatments contain Benzoyl Peroxide, an antibacterial agent that makes your skin more vulnerable to the sun, and, you guessed it, prone to painful and blotchy sunburns.

What is Benzoyl Peroxide and how does it work? 

Benzoyl Peroxide is an antibacterial agent that is made up of Carbon, Hydrogen, and Oxygen elements. It reduces the amount of acne-causing bacteria (known as Propionibacterium acnes) by drying out the skin, which leads to peeling.

The organic compound can also be found in popular skincare products including Proactiv, Neutrogena Rapid Clear Stubborn Acne Cleanser, Neutrogena On-The-Spot Acne Treatment, ReVive Acne Reparatif, Clinque Acne Solutions Emergency Gel-Lotion, and more.

How is it bad for your skin in the sun? 

Since it peels away skin, Benzoyl Peroxide makes the user more prone to red, blotchy sunburns, as their skin has become much more sensitive and vulnerable.

“It [Benzoyl Peroxide] acts like an antibiotic, but it’s very strong, so it can actually irritate the skin by drying it out. In combination with the sun, if you dry the skin out with Benzoyl Peroxide (which contains alcohol), it can just make the skin irritation worse,” said Moisey Nektalov, a pharmacist at S&M Pharmacy.

How to avoid getting sunburnt

When using Benzoyl Peroxide, it’s crucial to wear lots of sunscreen, especially if you’re headed to the beach or completing an outside task or activity. Re-apply approximately every two hours or so, and choose a sunscreen with a high SPF (sorry, but tanning oil won’t do the trick).

Treating the sunburn 

If you do get sunburnt from Benzoyl Peroxide use, have no fear. It’s just like a regular burn but it appears blotchy (I speak from personal experience). Solarcaine and Aloe Vera gel will be your BFFs. I also recommend Clarins After Sun Moisturizer, which is super-cooling and moisturizing.

Although it’s a little pricey, it’s so worth it in the end (I’ve even found that it helps turn the burn into more of a tan)!

Do my other skincare products have the same effect? 

Unfortunately, Benzoyl Peroxide isn’t the only common skincare product that increases your risk of getting sunburnt. Others include Alpha Hydroxy Acids (glycolic acid is the most common of the group and is used in moisturizers, face peels, and more), Beta Hydroxy Acids (used in most anti-wrinkle treatments and to help with discolored skin), and Retinol, a type of Vitamin A which is also used to treat wrinkles.

Acne treatments without Benzoyl Peroxide

Since most of us will want to avoid getting sunburnt this season but still want our skin to look #FreshAF, there are other treatments that don’t include Bonzoyl Peroxide. Try out products that are made with Salicyclic Acid or sulfur, instead. I suggest Clear Days Ahead Acne-Treatment Cleanser, Dr. Dennis Gross’ Sulfur Mask, or Bare Minerals Blemish Therapy Treatment. 

So yes – it is possible to fight off your acne while also enjoying the beach and the sun (with sunscreen of course)!