Attorney General Loretta Lynch just had a private meeting with Bill Clinton

While his wife is under federal investigation

Attorney General Loretta Lynch privately joined Bill Clinton on his plane yesterday on the tarmac at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. Although Lynch described the meeting, originally reported by a local ABC station, as “primarily social,” Republican and Democrats alike expressed concern that the meeting compromised or further corrupted the FBI investigation against Democratic Presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

While Trump’s polling numbers—statistics for which he’s spent less money on than for his Make America Great Again hats, last week’s FEC report reveals—have effectively flatlined, meaning that Clinton’s win is contingent simply on her not making enormous public errors. Thus, Democrats expressed frustration at the move, which further propagates the perception that the Obama administration is incapable of conducting an impartial investigation.

“I’m convinced that she is an independent attorney general,” Democratic Senator Chris Coons said on CNN’s “New Day” earlier this morning. “But I do think that this meeting sends the wrong signal, and I don’t think it sends the right signal.”

Democratic strategist David Axelrod described the meeting as “foolish” in a Tweet early this morning.

The meeting comes on the heels of mass criticism of Lynch’s release of the Orlando terrorist’s 911 call transcript with all mentions of Islamic extremism being replaced with the Orwellian “[omitted].”