All of the things I learned while on my mission trip in Costa Rica

‘I forgot everything I learned in high school Spanish’

I have always been interested in going on a volunteer trip in another country; I thought it would be a great way to experience a different culture and to meet new people, all while addressing current issues like education and infrastructure. So when my mom found out about a local Methodist church that organizes bi-annual volunteer trips to Costa Rica, I jumped at the opportunity and joined the group.

Though I was extremely excited to be going on this week long trip to Costa Rica, I did have my reservations. Once I began working in Costa Rica alongside the group, however, all of my fears and preconceptions were quickly proven wrong. I learned so much over the course of the week, but most of all, I learned what it really means to go on a mission trip.

It is easier to make friends than you think

Excitement about my new friends and being on a really wobbly bridge

Because I am not a member of the church, I was worried that I would have a hard time making connections with people while there. I found it to be the opposite; it was so easy to connect with people and begin to form friendships. Everyone was there for the same reason I was — to do something good, and to experience a new culture. We all shared a common passion.

Once we made it past the initial small talk, we began to joke around and talk about deeper things. It was so amazing that this group comprised of such a variety of ages, from fourteen to seventy-five, was able to not just work together, but connect together.

The food is incredible

Fresh banana, pineapple, and papaya, along with sweet cornbread and potato cakes

Rice and beans with every meal is a guarantee, as is fresh fruit. And when I say fresh, I mean went-outside-and-picked-the-bananas-this-morning fresh. Everything tasted so delicious, whether it was a chicken dish, or fish, or fried plantains.

I forgot everything I learned in high school Spanish

To put it simply, my Spanish is terrible and my accent is atrocious. I tried. I really did try. But whenever I tried to venture for anything more than “donde esta el bano,” “hola,” “gracias,” or “como estas,” I ended up stumbling over a simple word from Spanish 1 vocabulary, and failing miserably.

I mostly stuck to hand gestures and English, when I could.

Tedious work becomes fun if you listen to music

Painting, painting, and more painting

We painted almost every day. We painted the sides of a building. Then we painted over stucco and plaster on another building. Then we repainted everything because it rained.

It was slow and mind-numbing, until someone brought out a speaker and a classic rock playlist. The monotony of painting turned into a karaoke and dancing fest.

The church services were rockin’

One night, we walked down the hill from our work site to a small, one-roomed church for a communion service. It was a simple room, save for a shiny black drum set, giant speaker, electric guitar, and full microphone set.

The pastor began with a few prayers (in Spanish, of course) and then the singer, guitarist, and drummer took over. Everyone in the church was on their feet, clapping, and dancing to the music. The amount of soul in the music and prayer was incredible.

Even the little kids were smiling, dancing, and having a great time. And who wouldn’t in a church that was basically a rock-n-roll concert?

Mosquito nets and bug spray are a must

The bugs were huge, and everywhere. I scored a couple really itchy mosquito bites, but it would have been a lot worse if it weren’t for my avid bug spray application and mosquito net (especially because we slept in an open building).

You don’t have to be part of the church to get the full experience

Though I was raised Catholic, I don’t consider myself the most religious person; I would rather describe myself as spiritual, morally conscious, and reflective.

Despite being an “outsider” to the group, I never felt uncomfortable or ostracized at all during the church service, daily prayers, or daily devotional discussions. It was a very inclusive environment and I felt that the pastors and group leaders encouraged thoughtful introspection rather than rigid prayer and lecture methods.

Religion is a distinct part of the community we stayed with, and it was awe-inspiring to see how people demonstrate their faith in different ways.

You know it’s been a good day of work when you are covered in paint and want to enjoy your delicious mug of coffee forever

I am so glad I went

I almost didn’t join the mission trip; I would be missing a family reunion, and I had many reservations about not knowing anyone in the group.

But, I thought about how this could be the only chance I ever get to have this experience, and I impulsively decided to join.

A beautiful view of the Costa Rican countryside

Words cannot even begin to describe how glad I am that I took that leap of faith. It was an incredible week, to say the least.